lowest-cost FPGA and CPLD

I heard that Lattice Semiconductor Corporation boasted they were providing the lowest-cost FPGA and CPLD solutions, not sure if the news was true. Could anybody confirm it? If so could anybody give me a price range for their lowest-cost solution?

I always have an impression that Xilinx provided the lowest-cost chip while Altera provided the high-performance one, is it still true? How is the Lattice compared to Xilinx and Altera?

Thanks.

Johnson

Johnson Liuis

"Lowest cost" is nearly always qualified to such an extent, that it is market-droid meanginless. You also need to watch the end of next year / high volume asymptote prices, versus real world (ie now) prices...

For example, Altera claim their MAX-II devices are lowest cost, but they have pruned all devices sub 128MC, so their cheapest device is a lot more expensive than others 32 & 64 MC devices, and indeed their cheapest MAX ii is a lot more than their cheapest MAX3000....

What they actually mean is price paid _per_macrocell_ is relatively low, but that does not have the marketing razz....

So, you need to choose the resource you need, & volumes, then get prices on that to compare - and remember to include the Loader/config memory.

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

HOO-BOY - strap on your helmets guys, we're in for a rough one -

I think we ALL offer the lowest cost, highest performance device - just have a problem with how to draw the lines around the various devices :)

Mike T p.s. in the words of Pres Clinton - how do you define is?

Reply to
Mikeandmax

I don't know about the Lattice parts, but some of the Xilinx CPLDs are

*very* inexpensive. For example, the XC9536XL is under $1.07 in quantity 100 from Digikey. I haven't been able to buy 22V10 or even 16V8 style CPLDs for less.

The Spartan 3 FPGAs also seem to have amazingly good pricing.

I haven't compared Altera pricing, but I imagine that they must be competitive.

Reply to
Eric Smith

Claims like "lowest cost" or "highest performance" are pretty meaningless in the context of designing with an FPGA. No matter what they measure or how they measure it, unless they are using your exact design, it is not valid for your needs. Also, the advertised price is almost never a price you will actually see. Its a bit like automobile prices. They advertise a super low price on the model sitting in the back of the lot in the avocado green color with the diesel engine and the vacuum powered wipers. But if you want a car you can drive home, its going to cost a "little more".

I think they all have pretty good products and when it comes to pricing, you are on your own to get whatever price you can from your distributor; although I did once get better pricing by showing a sales rep an ad that claimed some price superiority on a new family line. When I later tried to do a little better on the same part in a smaller package I was told that they could not improve on the previous quote because I was already getting the 50k price on quantity of a few k per year. Interestingly enough, this 50k price was still more than a factor of 3 higher than the advertised price for 250k per year. I guess its not until you start using a full production line capacity that you get the *real* price breaks... ;^)

--

Rick Collins

rick.collins@XYarius.com

Specializing in DSP and FPGA design       http://www.arius.com
4 King Ave.                               301-682-7772 Voice
Frederick, MD 21701-3110     GNU tools for the ARM http://www.gnuarm.com
Reply to
rickman