This is not strictly a call for help, it is more of a warning to everyone.
Yesterday, I tried to upgrade from ISE/EDK 8.1 to ISE/EDK 8.2, and also change from Xilinx Paralllel IV (it always worked as PC III) to USB Platform cable
Steps:1) Uninstall all older versions. Easy, it works nice.
2) Install ISE 8.2 and all upgrades/sp's. Slow (lots of mb), but it works.3) Import old CPLD project, rebuild it and dowload it via USB cable. pretty fine, no retires, no problems. Using USB21
4) Install Modelsim XE 6.1e with new USB dongle. After 4 retrials I finally noticed that when plugging the dongle on my XPPro machine, some drivers were being loaded that disabled the possibility to load the drivers coming with Modelsim, so that the dongle was not recognised and I could not register it. Apparently, the solution is: 4.a) Install Modelsim first time 4.b) Plugin USB dongle, and let OS do all the driver selection 4.c) Open device manager: right-click on MyPC, select Manage, on emerging window select something that should read device manager/hardware manager or anything of the sort, I have an spanish version of XPPro, and this is only a translation. 4.d) Uninstall Aladdin USB Key under USB controllers 4.e) Go to root folder of your modelsim installation, enter drivers folder, double click on flexid.exe. 4.f) On device manager, search for new hardware. It will install the new drivers for dongle 4.g) Reinstall Modelsim, and tell it that you have a Dongle but you *don't* want to install new drivers (That should be a "no" button on the fiirst dialog after installing, with a lot of lilterature over it) 4.h) Typically, you will have now a good license request wtith yoyr FLEX-ID=9-xxxxxx option right. If it is not so, reply to this POST with your solution, it might help other users!5) Install EDK and SP. After that, open an 8.1 project. It tells me that it is upgrading some peripherals, but *not* microblaze and bram_if_ctrlr. Well, I suppose everything should be fine...
6) Clean all files, and rebuild system. No complains from synthsis/transalet/map/par/libgen/gcc.7) Download contenst to FPGA through USB cable. No problems, using USB21, it gets downloaded but... it is not working. I know it, because the programa for the microblaze will switch on and off some leds, and there is not such event happening.
8) Well let's debug it. Launch XMD, it seems to connect using USB22, but it takes a long time to show the prompt (Warning!)9) Launch MB_GBD. It will not connect to XMD
10) OK, maybe it is a problem with USB cable (have you noted that discrepancy between USB21 and USB 22?), so I plug my good old slow PC4 cable (remember: it is unable to work better than a PC3 cable!). It does not work either.11) Oh, so the project is FUBAR: unsistall 8.2, restore backups, reinstall 8.1. Fine.
12) I will reinstall 8.2 *without* uninstalling 8.1, and work over copies of 8.1 projects to see where is the catch.
Followups expected (from me, certainly, from anyone else they are welcome...).