MICROBLAZE AND OPB: TOO SLOW FOR VGA

Has anybody tried to write a code for crontroling what you put in a VGA port?? I have a Spartan 3E, and I want to put an image in a monitor. I've created a XPS project with Microblaze and OPB bus, and I've incorporated the VGA Peripheral. Finally I send the pixel values from a C program but there is a problem: The communication is too slow. I can't view a quiet image.

Can anybody tell me how can I write a project to print an image into the VGA?. I soppuse I could write a code to access to the sdram, but I don't know how can I get it.

Thanks, Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

Pablo schrieb:

1 add PLB bus 2 put the sdram controller on PLB bus 3 add xilinx VGA or TFT or DVI core (attaches to PLB bus) 4 add PLB2OPB bridge 5 connect the PLB2OPB bridge to your OPB bus

done. works.

antti

Reply to
Antti

sorry, but I am a completely novice in this area. Could you tell me how can I do that?. Why is it better than OPB?. Could you tell me where can I find some lecture for this?

Thanks, again

Reply to
Pablo

VGA is 640 x 480 x 30frames/sec = 18Mpixels/sec average throughput, with the peak being around 27Mp/s IIRC. If the VGA controller is not getting enough bandwidth (and there should be enough bandwidth on the OPB bus for this, assuming that it does burst transfers) it would be because its bus priority needs to be higher than the other masters on the bus (i.e. the processor). If both masters have the same priority, the xilinx arbiter gives priority to that master which is earlier in the MHS file. Put the VGA before the processor in the MHS and you should be okay. If this causes your software to run too slowly, add a cache on the instruction side.

Regards, Erik.

--
Erik Widding
President

That should have been 60frames/sec. Rest of the numbers are correct.

Regards, Erik.

--
Erik Widding
President
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Erik Widding

"Pablo" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

You could use the multiport memory controller.

Marco

Reply to
Marco T.

"Antti" ha scritto nel messaggio news: snipped-for-privacy@n67g2000cwd.googlegroups.com...

Could you tell me which application has the plb_dvi controller?

Many Thanks Marco

Reply to
Marco T.

Marco T. schrieb: