logic analyzer signal tap 2 - writing data

hello i am a student, working on development kit nios 2 cyclone edition. i want to use the logic analyzer to import data to the fpga from the logic analyzer, can i do it?

Reply to
david

It is definitely possible to update the memory and constants in a programmed device from Quartus using the In System Memory Content Editor. Details can be found at:

You can use this in conjunction wiith SignalTap II Embedded logic analyzer to debug your work.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

hello thank you for your replay

we allready tried this option before, but we have a problam, because we need to modify the data in the memory while the system is runing ( the in system memory size is to small for ower application), every 512 clock cycles. can we update the memory automaticly with new data from predefine files (hex files) while the system is runing? (it's not practiclly to rewrite manually every 512 clocks cycles, we need the system to run at least for 32768 clock cycles continusly, we can spend clock cycles as need to rewrite the content of the memory)

thanks david

Subroto Datta =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=91:

med

Reply to
david

Hello David,

You can use the TCL interface to automate the memory update. Use quartus_sh --qhelp to get the help on the "insystem_memory_edit" TCL package. This package is only available in the shell provided by quartus_stp.exe.

If you are using an external logic analyzer, you can install the free small standalone programmer

quartus2_programmer.jsp) with SignalTap II on the logic analyzer. This package includes the quartus_stp.exe executable. If you are using SignalTap II Logic Analyzer, the acquisition can be started in quartus_stp.exe as well using the TCL command from the "stp" package.

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

ammed

can

zer

Reply to
Subroto Datta

this is a good idea, thanks i am trying to load the quartus_stp package, the file exist in the qurtus/bin libarry but i can't load it, i am not using external logic analyzer how can i load the file? all the commands that belong to the in memorry edit is not available so' how can i load it?

thank you very much david

Subroto Datta =D7=9B=D7=AA=D7=91:

grammed

s can

lyzer

Reply to
david

quartus_stp.exe is an executable file, not a TCL package. This executable provides a TCL shell environment that loads a number of TCL packages. When you click on the insystem_memory_edit package in the TCL API Help window which is started up by quartus_sh --qhelp, you will read this information: "This package is loaded by default in the following executable: quartus_stp". That means that you can run TCL commands in this package using quartus_stp.exe.

"update_content_to_memory_from_file" command in the insystem_memory_edit package is likely what you want. Saving the example usage in that command's help topic into a file, example.tcl. For example,

# Initiate a editing sequence begin_memory_edit -hardware_name "USB-Blaster \[USB-0\]" -device_name "@1: EP1S25/_HARDCOPY_FPGA_PROTOTYPE (0x020030DD)"

# Write memory content using the hex memory file update_content_to_memory_from_file -instance_index 0 -mem_file_path "image_8x1024.hex" -mem_file_type hex

# End the editing sequence end_memory_edit

Customized the file based on your environment. Then, you can run that TCL script in command line as "quartus_stp.exe -t example.tcl"

Hope this helps, Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

.=2E)

we

es

te

rogrammed

ils can

nalyzer

the

t -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
Subroto Datta

hello Subroto Datta

i triesd your suggestion and its work nicely i want to thank you very much you help me a lot and save a lot of time.

i have one more quastion that you maybe can help me: i generating hex file from matlab, can i transfer data directly from matlab to Quartus Tcl? now i do this by generating files and reading them from quartus Tcl

thank you david

Subroto Datta wrote:

2=2E..)

the

e we

the

iles

rite

d to

programmed

tails can

analyzer

on.

m the

ext -- Hide quoted text -- Show quoted text -

Reply to
david