increase NIOS processor clock speed on APEX20K200E device

The NIOS processor runs on a 33.333MHz clock. How can I increase the speed of the clock and what is the maximum speed which can be achieved? Please advice.

Reply to
J-Wing

Hi, One way of achiving this would be to remove the Y1 clock source and put a faster one on to this.(You need to check the schematics for pinning). Second question you can always check in the timing analys for fmax of your design, if I rember correctly you should be able to get 50-70MHz depending on design. (You need to change target freqency in the SOPC builder also). Cheers Fredrik

Reply to
Fredrik

Hi,

Did some playing around with the Nios V3.1 in the APEX 20K200E and could get 74 MHz with a small 16 bit core, 2 KByte on-chip memory and a UART. Any bigger system will have lower performance.

Karl.

Reply to
Karl

If you're doing a one of a kind (not productions) then I would ask Altera the map for speed vs Voltage, temp amd processing.

If you raise the voltage you'll go faster, If you lower the temperature you'll go faster. If you select parts for speed you'll go faster.

Altera map should show you how much you can gain.

George

Reply to
George