iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

I have just bought myself a Sparten 3 starter kit, I usually use a 2E kit in my lab and have never had any problems, however when trying to connect to the board using iMpact (part of ISE 8.2i) I get error 923, the console output is:

Welcome to iMPACT // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs GUI --- Auto connect to cable... // *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto AutoDetecting cable. Please wait. PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1). Checking cable driver. Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6... Installer exit code = 1. Successful. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT2). Checking cable driver. Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6... Installer exit code = 1. Successful. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT3). Checking cable driver. Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6... Installer exit code = 1. Successful. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT4). Checking cable driver. Installing WinDriver6...Installing WinDriver6... Installer exit code = 1. Successful. Connecting to cable (Usb Port - USB21). Invalid OS minor version = 2. Cable connection failed. PROGRESS_END - End Operation. Elapsed time = 3 sec. Cable autodetection failed. WARNING:iMPACT:923 - Can not find cable, check cable setup !

The board is on LPT1, and I have never had any problems with that parallel port as I use it to print when my board isn't connected!

Anyone have and ideas?

TIA

Reply to
Skyrunner

What is the interface voltage for the Spartan3 header? If it's 2.5V, the Programming Cable III has a little trouble working with the in/out levels. Try strapping the Vref to 3.3V instead. It powers the buffers in the Parallel Cable III.

Just FYI: this isn't any trouble for the Parallel Cable IV or the USB Programming Cable.

- John_H

Reply to
John_H

I can find any definitive info as to what the board uses for the JTAG interface, some people say 2.5V, other say 3.3V, how would I got about changing this? I can't seem to find anything in the board manual.

I did intend to get the Parallel IV cable but I couldn't get one with my development board order (so I am using the bundled 3) and they seem to be quite hard to source in the UK.

Cheers,

Reply to
Skyrunner

The Windriver6 "Installer exit code=1" followed by "Success" is suspicious, especially repeated for each port. It looks like a failure to install Windriver; can you check this instllation outside Impact?

Available from the online store at

and they do ship to the UK. Check if currently in stock...

I try to work with UK distributors, but when they quote a 6 week leadtime for something ex-stock (or even a software download, and I'm not kidding!) it's VERY good to have that option.

- Brian

Reply to
Brian Drummond

Just a thought - I remember having to play with the EPP ECP port configuration in the BIOS to get the cable to work properly.

Maybe that was just for the high-speed though...

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

WinDriver is installed and I have verified that the driver files are there, I even updated to the latest version, 8.1.0 from Jungo.

I have tried it with my parallel port set to ECP and ECP+EPP and no joy!

Reply to
Skyrunner

I have just installed ISE on my laptop and it is connectiong to the board perfectly! Thankfully it means the cable and board are fine, it's obviously a software issue that I can now fix at my leisure!

Thanks for you help!

Reply to
Skyrunner