Parallel Cable IV in Spartan 3E???

I am trying to configure Spartan 3e (Starter Kit) with a Parallel Cable IV (J28) with flying leads instead of USB. The reason is that I must use flying leads with other fpga and first of all I prefer to try with my cheap kit. Does anyone know why impact give me the following error:

I have only connected the flying leads with the j28 six pins; TDI, TD0, TMS, VCC...

Welcome to iMPACT // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs // *** BATCH CMD : setMode -bs GUI --- Auto connect to cable... // *** BATCH CMD : setCable -port auto AutoDetecting cable. Please wait. PROGRESS_START - Starting Operation. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1). Checking cable driver. Driver windrvr6.sys version = 8.1.1.0. LPT base address = 0378h. ECP base address = 0778h. ECP hardware is detected. Cable connection established. Connecting to cable (Parallel Port - LPT1) in ECP mode. Checking cable driver. Driver xpc4drvr.sys version = 1.0.4.0. LPT base address = 0378h. Cable Type = 1, Revision = 3. Setting cable speed to 5 MHz. Cable connection established. PROGRESS_END - End Operation. Elapsed time = 1 sec. Attempting to identify devices in the boundary-scan chain configuration...Command: Identify // *** BATCH CMD : Identify ERROR:iMPACT:2243 - A reference voltage has not been detected on the ribbon cable interface to the target system ( pin 2 ). Check that power is applied to the target system and that the ribbon cable is properly seated at both ends. The status LED on Parallel Cable IV will be GREEN if target voltage is in the proper range and applied to the correct pin.// *** BATCH CMD : identifyMPM ERROR:iMPACT:2243 - A reference voltage has not been detected on the ribbon cable interface to the target system ( pin 2 ). Check that power is applied to the target system and that the ribbon cable is properly seated at both ends. The status LED on Parallel Cable IV will be GREEN if target voltage is in the proper range and applied to the correct pin.

Regards Pablo

Reply to
Pablo

Judging by the error you have a problem with the VCC or GND pin not being connected.

The P-IV cable needs to 'sense' the voltage level on the board so it can drive the JTAG pins to the correct levels.

Make sure the wires are seated properly, if they are then test the flying leads - they are easy to break!

Ben

Reply to
Benjamin Todd

Okay.... Have you hooked up the reference voltage flying lead to the appropriate JTAG voltage level? Does the little light on the pod turn from amber to green when you do? That's the indicator it has a valid voltage.

Pablo wrote:

Reply to
John_H

Yes, I know that led light must turn from ambar to green . That is the problem. The light doesn`t turn to green, so Parallel Cable IV doesn=B4t "feel" the reference problem. I suppose I have to configure spartan 3e to program from PC IV instead of USB.

Regards

Reply to
Pablo

Actually, it's simpler: you don't have a valid VCC and GND hookup. Get a volt meter. If you have nothing else hooked up except VCC and GND to valid levels, you should get a green light.

Regards

Reply to
John_H

id

Thanks. it`s a good idea. I have worked with volt meters during three years. I don`t know why I haven=B4t thought it before.

Reply to
Pablo