EDK Woes and Worries

Hey All,

I am working on a relatively large design involving DSP on an FPGA. We use a Virtex4 LX60 and fill up about 50-75% of the LUTs and all of the DSP48s. Anyway, in the process of development I decided to switch my design over to Synplify Pro. I compile the DSP portion of my design which subsequently spits out an .edf file. I then try and include this in my EDK design, as we have the uBlaze running in there and need to use EDK (apparently). However, I get the "portability" error that seems prominent on many designs (as per the Xilinx support website). Basically, it will not accept a generic .edf file into the design unless it is generated using XST. Here are my questions:

  1. Is it possible to compile the uBlaze outside of EDK?

  1. I have talked to Synplicity about doing the above, but has anyone ever taken the troubleof compiling a uBlaze design and then shoving it into Synplify Pro? (This is Synplicity's solution, which may work, but will take a while, especially over multiple design iterations)

  2. Does ISE have a simpler implementation of including all of these peripherals that EDK claims to be speciallized for?

  1. Has anyone seen the portability error described above before when trying to include an outside .edf file?

If anyone could help me out, and not point me to the Xilinx support line in the process, it would be helpful. Not that I don't like the support line, I just don't want to send all of my code to them (or you).

Thanks for your help!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Gammell
1) you can compile uBlaze with non XST tools only if you have purchased the uBlaze source, there pricing doesnt appear on Xilinx website anymore, last time it was listed I think it was 19,000 USD so paying that you can compile with synplify

3) wrap your EDK as submodule and use in ISE main project where you also include your edif file, that might work

4) the portability 127 error is the root of evil. its and generic error what can have zillion of causes in almost always there is no fix

Antti

Reply to
Antti

Chris,

Unfortunately I can't help you, I am just another confused EDK user. I was wondering if there is a more specialized user group/mailing list that would be primarily concentranting on EDK? The one on Xilinx site doesn't look too alive...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Well, we could always start a user group on google. However, I would predict within the hour there would be a Xilinx FAE trying to sell us on some new product. Perhaps we could call it something tricky like KDE?

Reply to
Chris Gammell

KDE is fine with me:), however before starting any new group we should probably make sure there is some substantial interest/support for this... I personally am in a permanent board level design cycle which forces me to switch from one tool/activity to another every 2-3 months... Right now I am in my FPGA phase, but I might be out of it in a couple of months until next time... So, unfortunately I can't be relied upon in organizing and maintaining this kind of thing...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Chris, do you have any proof for that (insulting) statement? I think this ng tries to be informative and helpful, and keeps commercials to a bare minimum. If you advocate the absence of Xilinx and Altera voices, I hope you are alone. Peter Alfke

Reply to
Peter Alfke

Please don't leave us! :-) Seriously, it'd be helpful if you guys kept on using CAF. Those of us who are occasional users of EDK are also interested in these posts, and it'd be useful to keep this in the same group, IMO. Why not just put [EDK] in your subject line and use your news reader to separate out relevant posts? Cheers, Syms.

Reply to
Symon

Hey Peter,

While I agree that the Xilinx and Altera peeps that lurk on these boards with us are helpful, I was more referring to their companies, with constant updates and poorly tested releases. I think the FAEs and such who explain all of these downfalls to us are just as much a victim to the problem as the rest of us.

But hey, I'm just a dumb kid trying to make my way. I'll muddle through the EDK regardless. Why? Because I have to.

See ya.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Gammell