Synplicity and the EDK

I am evaluating Synplicity and am trying to run a comparison on the system that we have developed in the EDK. Basically, I want to do a side by side look at how Synplicity synthesizes the design as compared to XST.

There are a couple of papers out there that explain how to do this process -- sort of. I am still not sure how to tie everything together within Synplicity. I have set the EDK to generate the netlist without synthesizing anything. So you end up with a system.v file that has all the global I/O and instatiations of all the IP.

I have pulled all of those files into Synplicty, tagged the system.v as the top level, and tried compiling. Synplicity doesn't know where some of the libraries are, complains about some other things, and quits. OK, fair enough. I could create a top.v file where I instantiate the system and tie all the I/O correctly, but I still don't know if that is going to work. And I could point it to the libraries as well.

I just want to know if there is a better way to go about this. The EDK is really nice in that it takes care of all the behind-the-scenes stuff.

Thanks,

Tom

Reply to
motty

"motty" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

well if you go behind the scenes you are pretty much alone, once upon a time before EDK there was V2PDK and Synplify was the only synthesis tool useable for it, today its other was around XST is pretty much a must for EDK, you can use synplify for different ipcores uses in the EDK system but then at the end still use EDK/XST to bind it all together.

some of the EDK ip cores (MicroBlaze) as example are converted from compressed binarary HDL to NGC files, and synplify can not read them or produce those formats.

if you want some synplify 'comparison' talk to them directly they do lots of inhouse testing themself.

An attempt to use EDK system for XST Synplify evaluation is way too troublesome

Antti

Reply to
Antti Lukats