DVI implementation

I wonder if DVI can be implemented on an FPGA fabric - I mean receiver and transmitter. Some concerns I have: I/O cell Tx/Rx protocol Serialization

Thanks in advance,

Luc

Reply to
Luc

Hi,

sure it can be implemented. I am about to do it.

What concerns do You have exactly?

Serialization is no problem (I have done it for a LVDS LCD Interface). I/O cell, what do You mean? You have to use the OBUFDS Peripheral of the FPGA (in my case Xilinx Virtex II Pro), that does the electrical LVDS stuff. The Tx/Rx protocol is explained completely in the DVI specs, which can be found here:

.

regards, Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Menküc

Are you sure that the OBUFDS does the job - LVDS is different to TMDS, which is what DVI specifies? Last I spoke to Xilinx, they do not support TMDS so far.

The TMDS drivers only drive an active-low via a current-source, with a resistive termination pullup at the receiver. Fig 4-1 in my DVI spec.

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK

Hi,

I figured out so far, that I have to use a TFP401 from TI for the TMDS interface.

What DVI application are you developing?

regards, Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Menküc

We use DVI to display the results of our image processing system - we used VGA on the previous-generation system, but getting RAMDACs was getting harder and harder. We ended up with the TFP410 as well!

Cheers, Martin

--
martin.j.thompson@trw.com
TRW Conekt, Solihull, UK
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Martin Thompson

Hi Martin,

do You store an entire frame in the fpga ram, or just one line and keep the DVI and Display LVDS synchronized using the variable hsync period of the LCD?

Do You do any image processing in the fpga, overshooting or scaling?

regards, Benjamin

Reply to
Benjamin Menküc

Whole frames - we do overlay graphics on the image we captured.

Yep, lots of that, although not specifically overshooting (whatever that is) or scaling. And we provide lots of peripherals for the DSP: CAN, LIN, UARTs, I2C, even turning some LEDs on and off :-)

Cheers, Martin