Download old Quartus versions (4.0, 4.1)

Does anyone know if it's possible to download older versions of the Quartus web edition, such as 4.0 or 4.1? I'm inheriting a design which allegedly doesn't work in the current version...

Reply to
cs_posting

Even if it was, would the license keys fit ? A reason to get the professional version...

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

My experience has shown that new releases of Quartus do not prevent older designs from loading. Quartus has always made the transition painless. I've been able to take designs done in 4.1 right up to the latest 5.1. Keep in mind that I'm using the full licensed version; maybe the web edition is different, but that would surprise me.

You mention in your post the word "allegedly"; have you actually tried to open up the design using the latest 5.1 web edition?

Reply to
Rob

If your design does not compile for any reason in 5.1 and it did compile in an earlier version, in all proabability it is a bug that we would fix. First try compiling with Quartus II 5.1. If it fails, please open a Service Request using mysupport.

Subroto Datta Altera Corp.

Reply to
Subroto Datta

The design compiles with the new version, but allegedly doesn't work, so the author always uses 4.1 for that project. The belief is that there's a sloppy timing dependence that gets broken by more efficient assignment or something... an error in our design that probably should be fixed in the long run, but something tangential to my efforts to adopt it and make minimal functional changes.

Reply to
cs_posting

If there's a "sloppy timing dependence" in the design then it's one of those things that is worth fixing sooner rather than later, regardless of what tool version you're using.

My comment is based on past experience....

Alan

Reply to
amyler

I so love it when people give advice that the original poster has already acknowledged is not needed, instead of answering the question that was posed!

I'm also interested in downloading the older versions for performance comparison purposes. Can someone now answer the original question, or is performance comparison across software versions also a bad idea.

BTW, in my experience, Altera's licenses cover all versions of software released before the expiry date.

Reply to
juendme

The problem is if there is a sloppy timing that might cause a problem, changing the design will only bring it out.. Murphy's law.. oh.. and it also adds... you will only find the sloppy timing 5 minutes before the shipping dead line.

Or, of course, the design won't work at a particular temperature and voltage...

Simon

P.S.. I only have 4.0 and 4.2 sp 1 :-)

Reply to
Simon Peacock

Hi,

try a look at ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release

You can connect as guest. (E.g. if you are using windows, simply enter "ftp.altera.com/outgoing/release" on the explorer path). There you will find lots of old (also 4.0 and 4.1 .. version) and the most up-to-date version, even earlier than the CD shipments.

Hope this is what you are looking for,

Henning

Reply to
henn2005

up-to-date

Thank you, that is exactly what we were looking for. If the design works or needs to be updated is our problem, but now I can have the flexibility to use the same versions as my co-worker does for this project.

Reply to
cs_posting