doubt on configuring FPGA

Hello,

I am new to configuring FPGAs, and I have a question regarding that. I used a Xilinx Spartan2E FPGA for my hardware prototype, and successfully validated it. I configured it using Boundary-scan mode. But now, I am required to use a PROM for configuring FPGA, to deliver the final prototype. My board has a OTP PROM socket for XC17S200A. I am not completely clear about the procedure I have to do to configure this PROM with my design.

Are the following steps correct?

1)Generate a .bin or .hex file using Xilinx iMPACT for the design. 2)Program XC17S200A with the file using a Xilinx compatible programmer. 3)Place the XC17S200A PROM on the socket given on the board and 4)Power up the device.

Here I am assuming that soon after I power up the device, the FPGA gets configured automatically.

The datasheet for XC17S200A says that FPGA should be in Master-serial mode. Is there any option I have to set in iMPACT for this or just powering up the board would work.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Phani.

Reply to
tangirala

read the manual and set the jumper switches M1,M2,M3.

Reply to
Neo

One more thing to do in the 17xxx series PROMs. There is a reset polarity bit in the prom which is *NOT* part of the binary file you create in impact or prom file formatter. This must be set to active LOW which is *NOT* the default setting or your FPGA will not program. The way to program this bit depends on your programming equipment.

Reply to
Gabor