Help configuring battery

I use a CPAP machine to keep my airway open while I sleep. I want to configure a light and energy dense battery setup so I can go camping with my CPAP. Figure on three days worth of power. Trying to keep costs down as a third criteria. Thinking Lithium Ion. The CPAP input is 12V@1.5 amps. Figuring on a 20 watt power consumption. Question is, as a novice, am I correct in figuring I'll need 480 watt-hours (20 watts x 8 hrs sleep x 3 days). Seems like a sizeable battery pack if I am not mistaken. Who do I get it from? I know Li battery technology can be somewhat dangerous if mishandled i.e. overheated, hot overcharge, ect. Is there a more practical battery technology suggestion for my application that I am not aware of? I'll gladly take any suggestion or guidance and link to research. The criteria again is reliability, lightweight and portable, compact as is practical. Thanks in advance.

Reply to
trg-s338

Hmm. 1.5 AH (Amp Hour)*8 = 12 AH * 3 = 36 AH battery..

Don't know your camping arrangements how ever, you should consider a portable solar cell for day time charging, or get your self a hand crank generator to bring up the battery while your lying around day dreaming on that camping adventure.

P.S. it's possible your machine does not demand that current at 100% duty, you might want to measure to see the intervals.

"

Reply to
Jamie

I'll bet that your machine doesn't draw 1.5 A. continuous, just on peaks.

*Electronics subject digressing:* Are you backpacking, if so are you alone? If you are car camping, no problem.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi