counterfeit Xilinx ?

This was a very small batch of parts, so it doesn't make much sense to spend a lot of money on it. I still have no idea whether there was any funny business, or these parts were just mishandled in some way to cause them to deteriorate. A number of them would not do the master mode configuration, so that can't be a speed grade problem. But, half of them work! I still don't know if I have some kind of process problem here in my shop, but I am coming around to think it is not something I caused here.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Some ideas: Did you bake the parts before assembly? Are you hand-soldering the deviecs?

Reply to
John_H

That reminds me of another scam : Quantity padding.

Someone in the supply line decides to 'pad the numbers', and the report I remember had lower failures on the end of tubes, and higher failures (non blank OTP devices) in the centres. They hope the user will shrug it off.

Can you pop the top on some failures and look at the die ?

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

I did not bake the initial run of parts before IR reflow. They were "pretty" dry, however. I did hand solder the replacements, and had one dead chip that way, too. I don't think this is a moisture problem. I have had such a low rate of possible ESD problems in the past (maybe 3 chips in 10 years) that I doubt I suddenly have ESD.

Anyway, I have made enormous progress on migrating to Spartan 2E, so I won't be buying any more of these 5V Spartan parts. It means throwing away some unpopulated boards, but it is worth it to not have to deal with these failures and rework.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

I've never been very successful at opening up Xilinx pacakges. The epoxy is harder than steel (well, at least really abrasive) and I don't have something that will dissolve it. These are TQFP's, so there's no metal lid. They come in waffle trays, so there are a lot of "ends" to start from. What you say MAY make some sense, however, as the first batch of boards I did used about half the tray without any bad ones! Then, the second batch I got 50+% bad. Very curious!

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Jon Elson wrote: ...

Take a plunge and go directly to 3E...

-- Uwe Bonnes snipped-for-privacy@elektron.ikp.physik.tu-darmstadt.de

Institut fuer Kernphysik Schlossgartenstrasse 9 64289 Darmstadt

Uwe Bonnes

Solder the device onto a spare scrap of PCB, and then use a flat metalworking file to remove the plastic. As the covering gets very thin, it will lift off the die, so with a little care, you can get quite clean exposure of most of the die. Enough to confirm it is 'Xilinx inside' :)

-jg

Reply to
Jim Granville

This in the news is topical to this thread

"SIA launches fight against fake chips"

" the SIA is fighting on several fronts, including China where huge stores of fake goods operate freely.

The fake chips are often rebranded parts claiming greater performance than they actually have to earn the sellers a fast profit. "

-jg

Reply to
-jg