A strange problem of Chipscope

Hello,

I am trying to design a multiprocessor system for my master project. Chipscope is necessary to debug the system. But I got a strange problem when I synthesize my design in EDK. It says,

ERROR:MDT - ERROR FROM TCL:- chipscope_opb_iba_0 (chipscope_opb_iba) - Release

At the end of the report, it says,

while executing "exec xst -ifn $xst_scr_filename" (procedure "synthesize_cs_edk_port_mapper_core" line 55) invoked from within "synthesize_cs_edk_port_mapper_core $param_table" (procedure "::hw_chipscope_opb_iba_v1_01_a::opb_iba_generate" line 95) invoked from within "::hw_chipscope_opb_iba_v1_01_a::opb_iba_generate 38052152" ERROR:MDT - platgen failed with errors!

The version of tools is EDK 8.1.02i, ISE 8.1.03i, chipscope 8.2.02i.

Can you help me to figure out the problem? Thanks a lot.

/Wayne

Reply to
quickwayne

Hi, The problem may be the different versions: EDK 8.1.02i, ISE 8.1.03i, chipscope 8.2.02i.

They must be the same version: 8.1 or 8.2 and cannot be mixed. It is my guess!

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang

Oh, that's also possible.

Reply to
quickwayne

I installed chipscope 8.1i instead of 8.2i. but It's the same.

/Wayne

Weng Tianxiang wrote:

Reply to
quickwayne

Make sure you rebuild everything. If you work entirely in XPS environment do Hardware/Clean Hardware before rebuilding.

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Hi Mikhai,

Thanks. I tried but it doesn't work either.

/Wayne

MM wrote:

Reply to
quickwayne

Post your MHS file...

/Mikhail

Reply to
MM

Hi, Here is a file I recorded for use by myself after I have successfully inserted debuging information into a *.cdc file and used ChipScope correctly without error.

How to start ChipScope procedure correctly:

  1. Generate a project as usually, including all files containig signals you want to debug;
  2. Synthesize it without errors;
  3. Start ChipScope Pro Core Insert;
  4. Edit clock channel and trigger/data channels without errors: it means that the number of signals must be the same as you set in the previous page that leads you to go back to several pages to see if they are met: black font is OK, read font is an error. You cannot go forward until you correct the error.
  5. Quit "ChipScope Pro Core Insert" software, then click 'Save' button to save the edit file as *.cdc. 'NEVER CLICK INSERT BUTTON', otherwise it would generate double insertion error problem later.
  6. Insert *.cdc file into the project by adding source file into the project;
  7. Run synthesis only;
  8. Double click *.cdc file in the project and check if any signals are needed to change;
  9. 6-7 can be skipped if all debug signals are included in *.cdc.
  10. Compile to generate bit stream file as usually.

Then a bitstream containing debugging informatin is generated.

ChipScope has some limits on how signals are accessed:

  1. Input pin must be accessed through its registered values;
  2. Output pin should be accessed through its internal drive signal;
  3. All extra debugging signals, i.e., the signals that are added for debugging, must be linked to an extra output pin to avoid them from being optimized out. The extra output pin must be added in *.puf for debugging use only.

A lesson: Never put more than 10 signals at the first time and try the ChipScope successfully. It is a very complex system and every step has a chance to trigger a miner over there. After you clear the way first time, you may add as many signals as you want to.

Especially it is lucky and better if you have an helper who has experiences.

Its manual is too detailed to start for a newbie.

Weng

Reply to
Weng Tianxiang