ChipScope and Spartan-3 Starter Kit (DO-SPAR3-DK)

Hi all! Can the ChipScope Pro be used with the Spartan-3 Starter Kit (DO-SPAR3-DK) ? This board is bundelled with a "JTAG3 Programming Cable" can I connect a Xilinx PC4 or USB cable instead of that cable (JTAG3 Programming Cable)? Or the board wouldn't support them?

Mehdi

Reply to
GaLaKtIkUs™

Yes, you can use the PC4 cable. The standard JTAG header is available.

-Eli

Reply to
Eli Hughes

So no problem with ChipScope? I can Buy the DO-SPAR3-DK board and use the ChipScope and the PC4 cable (availlable in our university's lab) ?

Reply to
GaLaKtIkUs™

Hi Mehdi, I am using Xilinx Parallel Cable IV with my spartan-3 board (from Memec Insight) instead of the JTAG cable that came with the kit. It works fine for me and I am sure it would work for you. Of course, I am using it just to download my design on to the devices (FPGA and EPROM) and not with Chipscope Pro. But in the documentation, I did find that Chipscope Pro supports it.

Also, in cable setup, there is an option where you can select the kind of parallel cable and both III and IV are in there.

When I tried my IV cable with Chipscope pro, it gave an error "Cable not found". However, the reason may be because my Chipscope Pro is expired!

Reply to
Robert

Yes, I have used ChipScope Pro with that board and with both parallel cables (version 3 and version 4).

Here is my only warning, if you have the USB JTag cable, make sure you do not have old parallel cables plugged into the PC at the same time.

-Eli

Reply to
Eli Hughes