What arch's do you look forward to in 2006?

I suspect he was meaning with a smaller pin count. What you say regarding inductances is perfectly true. However, I think there might be a market for FPGAs/CPLDs which were better optimised for simpler boards. If you have a design with signals running at 200 MHz, you need to be using BGA packages with multiple power and ground balls spread around the package. However, most embedded boards are not running at that sort of speed. If an FPGA package were designed to be limited to external I/O speeds of, say, 50 MHz, then it could be made far simpler for designers. The could use PLCC or TQFP packaging (with fewer pins for the same number of logic elements), or BGAs with convenient power pinning (such as power rings, rather than mixing the power balls with the signals). Internal speeds would not be unduly affected.

And talking about mini-PCBs - another nice idea would be to have appropriate bypass capacitors inside the package for high density components, so that you only need a few bigger caps on the board.

Reply to
David Brown

Why would you expect that? Do you think that Microsoft is suddenly going to stop making each new release of their softare more bloated and slower than the previous release?

Reply to
Eric Smith

Me , more fpga's STI Cell , TI DM6446.

What about the ones you don't look forward to working with ? or architectures to avoid if possible ?

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson

Wow, I'm green with envy if you're actually going to get to play with the DM6446.

It looks amazing. Far better integrated than the Blackfin BF561 I was looking at. After bitbanging 56k serial and trying to keep sync with wall power on a one timer Scenix/Ubicom SX chip, I think I've started to realize hwo important integrated really is.

rektide

Reply to
rektide

Not out until April, so expect to see it after May.

I couldn't say it if is better integrated than the BF561 or not. I have not yet worked with any omap processors (which appear fairly similar) so I'll reserve judgement until after I been using it for a while

Sx. Much prefer having hardware peripherals to doing it in software.

Been pretty lucky so far.

pic -> 8051 / avr /sx

------> cpld -> fpga

-----------------> dsps 56f805 -> BF533 -> C6713 -> DM642

I've used pics, cplds , fpgas and the TI chips for work. The analog devices Ezkits are pretty good, as is the blackfin stamp.

The xilinx spartan3 kits are great value and looking forward to getting my hands on one of the S3e kits XC3S500E, ethernet , lcd(2x16) , 64MB ram , 16MB flash , 2MB spi flash, 2x rs232, ps/2 , leds , switches usb platform cable builtin - US$149

Now if only xilinx's website wasn't so flaky - time for them to sack their database guy. (Keep getting the message We apologize... A technical problem has interrupted your session. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused you. Planned site outages or problems: We are experiencing intermittent database problems. Please try again at a later time. )

The digilentinc xupv2pro boards are also good to play with if you can get your hands on one at education pricing

Alex

Reply to
Alex Gibson