Embedded C Compiler On Linux Targeting Motorola 68K

Can someone point me to where I can get a download of a compiler that wil work on Linux for embedded C targeting the 68K chip?

This is for some "legacy" code that appears to have been initially buil using a "Tasking" compiler (does that sound right?)

Thanks in advance. Chris Fullinfaw

Reply to
cfullinfaw

GCC supports the 68K.

If you want to use glibc, you can use crosstool to build a toolchain:

glibc may be too heavyweight for your platform. If that's the case, newlib is a bit lighter:

Or you can just build a "bare" gcc cross compiler with no libc at all.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! I smell a RANCID
                                  at               CORN DOG!

Op Thu, 13 Dec 2007 16:47:29 +0100 schreef cfullinfaw :

Are you talking about the actual MC68000 chip or some derivative? Anyway, the preferred compiler for Linux is usually GCC. There's even a Linux-m68k project: .

Yep. Note that you still might be able to acquire an old Tasking compiler from places where the sun doesn't shine (a lot).

http://www.opera.com/mail/
Reply to
Boudewijn Dijkstra

Here's a good page on how to build a toolchain that uses newlib:

Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Mary Tyler Moore's
                                  at               SEVENTH HUSBAND is wearing
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Tasking is now owned by Altium FWIW.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

And they don't support Linux, only Windows and Solaris.

If you're really in a bind, you I suppose could run Windows or Solaris on a VM...

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! This is a NO-FRILLS
                                  at               flight -- hold th' CANADIAN
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

There are tons of references for building gcc as a crosscompiler. Just google it.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

You can get packages of gcc for the m68k/ColdFire from

either as pre-build binaries or as source code to build yourself. Their packages are a bit newer than the standard FSF gcc tree.

There will always be a certain amount of porting between compilers, however - things like embedded assembly, toolchain-specific header files and libraries, and low-level interrupt handling will be different.

Reply to
David Brown

You could of course remove the Linux and run the Free Solaris from Sun

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Chris Hills

Before doing that you might want to check with to see if IA32 Solaris is supported by Altium or not. It could be that when Altium says Sun/Solaris what they mean is SPARC/Solaris.

Better yet, send them a PO for an IA32 Linux version. When somebody calls and tells you they have a Solaris version but not a Linux version, thell them you saw that but thought they were joking. It's about time they pulled their head out of the sand and joined the rest of us in the 21st Century.

I'll admit that there might be a business case for doing like IAR does and supporting Windows and not Unix. But to support Windows and Solaris instead of Windows and Linux seems like a decision that hasn't made sense for over a decade.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Did something bad
                                  at               happen or am I in a
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

As a contented user of Solaris/SPARC, I am personally offended by such inflammatory comments. Linux is in many ways a new religion of a certain generation; as with all religions, intolerance can become a problem.

I use Linux when it is appropriate to a specific application, but for robustness, reliability and canonical implementation, Solaris/SVR4 Unix is still a gold standard.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

Surely it's a sensible business-oriented decision from a commercial compiler company, not the kind of idiocy you'd expect from those Free Software freaks!

--
rich walker         |  Shadow Robot Company | rw@shadow.org.uk
technical director     251 Liverpool Road   | skype: rich_at_shadow
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Rich Walker

Perhaps the people I know aren't typical, but everybody I know who used to do embedded development under Solaris has switched either to Linux or to Windows. I used to know a lot of different people who did embedded development on SPARC/Solaris.

Now I can't think of any.

Perhaps that's true, but my observation leads me to the conclusion that very few embedded developers use SPARC/Solaris these days.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! Are you the
                                  at               self-frying president?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

Do it your self, it is not complicated once you get the idea. Download:

- binutils-2.16.tar.gz (the latest, on what gas still supports M68K)

- gcc-core-4.2.2.tar.bz2 (the wiki page on gcc.gnu.org discusses taking the latest src from svn, which might not be a good idea)

- gcc-g++-4.2.2.tar.bz2

cd /home/$USER mkdir src mkdir build bzip2 -d gcc-core-4.2.2.tar.bz2 bzip2 -d gcc-g++-4.2.2.tar.bz2 cd /home/$USER/src tar zxvf /home/$USER/binutils-2.16.tar.gz tar xvf /home/$USER/gcc-core-4.2.2.tar tar xvf /home/$USER/gcc-g++-4.2.2.tar

cd /home/$USER/build (for target m68k-X, you need to decide whether coff or elf suits you better, coff is quite simple to process compared to elf) ../src/binutils-2.16/configure --target=m68k-X \\

--prefix=/home/$USER/m68k-gcc (or wherever you want to install the system) make make install export PATH=$PATH:/home/$USER/m68k-gcc/bin rm -rf * ../src/gcc-4.2.2/configure --target=m68k-X \\

--prefix=/home/$USER/m68k-gcc make make install

that's it. You might want to build newlib (latest seems to be

1.15.0) also, but I'm not sure which is The Correct Way of doing it. Perhaps someone else knows.
--
Jyrki Saarinen
http://koti.welho.com/jsaari88/

Petter

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Petter Gustad

... snip ...

Of course it is quite possible that Altium (whoever they may be) has the Solaris compiler, but no personnel who understands how it works or is capable of modifying or adapting it.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
CBFalconer

Regardless of the advantages of SPARC and/or Solaris (I haven't tried either, so I can't comment), it is still absurd that a company would support a compiler on Solaris/SPARC and not on Linux. The commonality between all *nix systems is so great for command-line application software that porting is mostly a matter of recompiling for the right target.

Reply to
David Brown

A sensible business-oriented decision would be to make the compiler work on platforms that people use, based on the potential sales and the cost of the ports (both one-time costs, and later maintainance and support). So if you make a windows-specific gui-based toolchain, the costs of making a Linux port are probably high compared to the potential sales. But if you already make a Solaris toolchain, the costs of the port are minimal and the market is very much larger - that's why commercial software companies that make Solaris software generally also make Linux versions.

Reply to
David Brown

That's a distinct possibility (especially for such an old target). It could be that the last time anybody touched that compiler the Linux market was smaller than the Solaris market. If that's the case, then the chances that they have an IA32/Solaris port are probably nil.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow! HUGH BEAUMONT died
                                  at               in 1982!!
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Grant Edwards

I am glad you said that. I usually get flamed for saying it! Even though I know many in the industry would agree with you. However due to the religious bigotry (their words) from the Linux camp they won't say it publicly.

The Linux market is still too new, unstable and full of religious bigots for many companies to get involved with. In fact I have seem in print is some places that the "overweening messianic inevitability" from some to the Linux camp may well be the cause of it's down fall.

Couldn't agree more.