cross-compiler

    I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to
build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not
support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone
point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler
installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that
would help in system development and debugging.

Thanks

Re: cross-compiler

Are you sure you want to do that on an i486 based system? Did you try to
compile a full featured recent kernel on this machine? I guess it will fail
(or at least it will need a very looooooooooooooooooooong time ;-)

jbe

Re: cross-compiler

As an example of how this is done for the GNU tool chain, uClibc and
Linux kernel, take a look at the OpenRISC 1000 processor:
www.opencores.org/projects.cgi/web/or1k/gnu_toolchain_port.

There is an application note describing the OpenRISC tool chain and Linux
installation at www.embecosm.com/download/ean2.html.

Hope this gets you started.

Jeremy

Re: cross-compiler

the Embedded Linux Development Kit (ELDK) might be a starting point:
http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/ELDK

if you prefer to build the toolchains yourself crosstool-ng could be
interesting for you: http://ymorin.is-a-geek.org/dokuwiki/projects/crosstoo =

there are much more alternatives out there, google is your friend

be sure to have a look at busybox (http://busybox.net /) for a set of
basic unix utilities with a small memory footprint on the root file
system of your target

Re: cross-compiler

Hi George,

I would recommend installing openembedded.
(http://wiki.openembedded.net/index.php/Main_Page )

It is very good framework that you can build quite a few platforms from. Read
the wiki for instructions on how to build them.

Also install qemu, use qemu to run the image for simulations of that specific
platform.

Thanks
Wei

Re: cross-compiler

This might be little old, but it should give you an idea:
http://cross-lfs.org/view/clfs-sysroot/arm/cross-tools/chapter.html

Re: cross-compiler

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

George

Site Timeline