cross-compiler

Hi, I would like to use my slackware 11.0 I486 system as a platform to build embedded software and linux kernels. Currently my system does not support any cross compiler options for other processors. Can anyone point me to a howto that will direct me on how to get the cross-compiler installed to support multiple CPU types. And possible any tools that would help in system development and debugging.

Thanks

Reply to
George

Are you sure you want to do that on an i486 based system? Did you try to compile a full featured recent kernel on this machine? I guess it will fail (or at least it will need a very looooooooooooooooooooong time ;-)

jbe

Reply to
Juergen Beisert

As an example of how this is done for the GNU tool chain, uClibc and Linux kernel, take a look at the OpenRISC 1000 processor:

There is an application note describing the OpenRISC tool chain and Linux installation at

Hope this gets you started.

Jeremy

Reply to
Jeremy Bennett

atform to

the Embedded Linux Development Kit (ELDK) might be a starting point:

if you prefer to build the toolchains yourself crosstool-ng could be interesting for you:

there are much more alternatives out there, google is your friend

be sure to have a look at busybox

for a set of basic unix utilities with a small memory footprint on the root file system of your target

Reply to
Matthias Kaehlcke

Hi George,

I would recommend installing openembedded.

It is very good framework that you can build quite a few platforms from. Read the wiki for instructions on how to build them.

Also install qemu, use qemu to run the image for simulations of that specific platform.

Thanks Wei

Reply to
Wei Weng

This might be little old, but it should give you an idea:

anon

Thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

George

Reply to
George