Refrigerator relay

My refrigerator is warm and makes this intermittant clicking sound. My research shows it's probably the compressor start relay. The start relay has two wires going into it. I removed the relay and it rattles, so its definitely bad. Would it be safe to just bypass the bad relay (by joining the two wires together) and run the refrigerator for a few minutes to just make sure the compressor is fine and still cools the box?

addieb

As a refrigerator is not an electronic device, this is the wrong group in which to ask the question. You DID ask it in a proper group

but you have used Usenet[1] THE WRONG WAY.

Next time you feel compelled to ask the same question multiple places, do it this way:

*-*-*-marked-as-Read-in-ALL-*-groups+Newsgroups.line

[1] This is "USENET" **NOT** "Google Groups": http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:3uMiDBcerS8J:en.wikilib.com/wiki/Usenet+follow-Usenet-customs-and-*-rules+*-a-service-for-*-*-*-*+hide-the-fact-*-*-*-they-are-*-on-Usenet+concerns-*-*-*-*-about-the-Google-interface+what.is.wrong+*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-is-now-legendary+*-*-savvy+Google-cannot-muster-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*-*+*-*-policed&strip=1
Reply to
JeffM

Dear JEFFM, Might I suggest you switch to decaffeinated coffee?

addieb

Probably not.

Not necessarily.

It only starts the motor. After 10 seconds you need to open the switch again.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Is it the start relay or overload?

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

99+% of the relays are a current operated starter switch.
Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Could be a seized compressor cycling on the overload. Could be a bad start cap, could be anything.

#1 Offishul Ruiner of Usenet, March 2007
#1 Usenet Asshole, March 2007
#1 Bartlo Pset, March 13-24 2007
#10 Most hated Usenetizen of all time
#8 AUK Hate Machine Cog
COOSN-266-06-25794
Reply to
Meat Plow

That's for sure.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

the compressor mabe at fault, that relay is there as a cutout for safety.

Reply to
zack

You still live in the 60s of the last century ?

Reply to
ccon67

No, it switches out the starting winding after the compressor runs.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well, no relay I've known of has 2 wires. The device you talking about is most likely a semiconductor device, its resistance is somehow proportional to its body temperature. When the motor stops, no current goes thru it, its body temp = ambient, and its resistance is very low. When the motor attemps to start, the device conducts the current for the starter coil, but the starter current also makes the device hotter. As a result its resistance goes up high until an equilabrium state occurs where the resistance and temperatue stay, at this state the starter current's almost cut off

So, the device somehow works as a timer relay. You can't short the two wires together permanently but a few ms when the motor starts. As others posts, the problem may be the CAP or somewhere else. But you can test that device by reading its resistance with an ohm metter then slightly heat it with your zippo...

Reply to
ccon67

Could be a PTC. But I can conceive of a two wire relay also.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson