Any US source for inexpensive germanium transistors?

I wanted to try an idea appearing in Electronic Design (May 10 07) calling for an NTE 103 (TO5 NPN Ge)

They claim a DC/DC converter that will unconditionally start oscillating at ~260 millivolts.

It is a basic Eccles/Jordan flip flop with inductors in place of load resistors for voltage boost. They take output from both sides of the flip flop for higher current and low ripple. They also give a suggestion for using a JFET to turn it off (providing you have the voltage to do it).

Most of what I see for prices are in the $5-7 each for germanium transistors and the basic oscillator takes a pair of them - which prices them out for the numbers I was thinking.

NPN Ic of 100 ma to 500 ma, gain of ~100, 30 volt standoff would work.

PNP would also work but somewhat less desirable.

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
default

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Search [germanium] on eBay.

Reply to
John Popelish

Or you could go to even lower voltages, by going back to Model A-style spark coils (yes, a mechanical buzzer... a.k.a. a vibrator).

It would be more interesting if there were some kind of power supply that was useful at 260 millivolts. Solar cells is the only candidate for that role, and you can series-connect a dozen of 'em easier than this workaround.

Reply to
whit3rd

Well, you would be hard pressed to find NPN Germanium transistors, period. The few sources i have seen do not quote quantity prices, mainly most buyers seem to be hobbiests.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Hobby, hobbier, hobbiest?

It's HOBBYIST!!!!

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Keep in mind that it has appeared to me that for germanium PNP is what is/was more common and available over a wider range of specifications. I am aware that NPN is more common and being the one exclusively available for some ratings for silicon.

Don Klipstein

I have many ge transistrs contact me and we'll figure out a part number and ship

Marc snipped-for-privacy@att.net

Reply to
LVMarc