new to electronics n needing advice

Well, considering that the hallmark of extremism is the inability to make distinctions, you should seriously try to make some. Government can't help being a blunt instrument sometimes, but you can.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.

You've got a point there. I guess I see very little difference between what the politicians spout and what they do. Even when a politician pays lip service to a principle its like he's saying "this is what I really believe in, but what the hey; nobody seems to be supporting this so my hands are tied."

I do understand the distinctions - they just keep changing the definitions. It would seem a "neo conservative" might be anything but conservative, and a liberal is often more conservative than so-called conservatives.

Thank goodness my leader George Bush gets his marching orders directly from God - that eliminates all guesswork don't it?

Wait a minute, that would be the same God Abraham, the Jews, Mohammed, and the Christians believe in - ah, so either the people who interpret God's wishes are wrong, God is fond of jokes or watching us deal with wars, or there is no God.

What is your take there?

default

There are several factors that mix it up. "Left" and "liberal" have entirely different meanings. Not all liberals have to believe the same thing or have to be on the left. If liberals had to believe the same thing it's about as strong as a contradiction in terms can be, since "liberal" has the same root as "liberty" and means "free thinking" or "not obedient to dogma". The trouble started when every left-winger started giving himself a big complement by calling himself a liberal, thus changing the definition of "liberal" to something philosophically deterministic. If thinking must lead to a particular conclusion then thinking would not be necessary. Even if I think I'm a free thinker I would not claim to be objective about it.

Conservative means opposing change, which the left does with reform to Social Security, tort law, and other things. So it's better to call "conservatives" right-wingers.

Individuals who are now called neo-cons, and who also have a long public history, used to be called conservatives. They don't all have to agree either, so I guess it's good for the subset of right-wingers who think Bathists are a threat to have a distinct name.

I don't think he ever claimed to get detailed instructions the way Koran followers do. Hey! That could be a distinction!

My eight-year-old prayers didn't seem to be making any difference, so I've settled on the last option since at least the age of nine. :)

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

Not wanting to contribute only to the off-topic sub-thread and ignore the real issue here, I would say that physical experience is essential, and most of what's in any book is much harder to understand without it. So, you definitely need some parts and a breadboard to play with, and a digital meter. An analog meter would work, but the low impedance confuses many measurements.

Also, books by Walter Jung and Don Lancaster are probably better (and a lot cheaper) for understanding basics than AoE, which is better for learning heavy engineering.

--

Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

IMO neo-cons are new Stalinists.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

Well I would think, perhaps naively, that "conservative" means husbanding one's resources (environmental, mineral, physical, monetary,effort expended) acting as a steward, thinking through the consequences before acting precipitously, etc. "Conserving" what one has to work with. Now that sounds like the same thing you believe.

So why don't those boneheads just call themselves right wing - to me right wing implies nationalism versus patriotism "my country right or wrong" or perhaps self righteous "my country is right" by definition? And that seems to be the neo con viewpoint. No wonder the rest of the world is worried about U.S..

Ever read the Koran and compared it to the bible? The Koran seems like the meanderings of a benevolent, but absolute, despot. More a rules to live by or legal law than religion. In my opinion. And while it does say that unbelievers should be treated with respect - it seems to assume that all enemies will always be unbelievers or infidels and the Koran is very specific about what one should do to infidels . . .

I kicked out of religion at seven but I was an alter boy and saw the priests and nuns saying one thing and doing another - easy call. What I really don't understand is my classmates who are now practicing Catholics - at the time we were being indoctrinated they had less "faith" than I. My real problem is I was really buying into that crap before the "age of reason."

The "catechism" is very like the teaching techniques of the Jews, Muslims, or for that mater North Korea's leader, Kim Jong Il . . .

I figure any religion that has a word for "non believers" is a sham. The Christian's have pagans, the Muslim's have infidels or the "unclean" (gotta love that one) the Jews have gentiles, unclean, or antisemetic (must be a matter of degree)

"Child abuse" should include religious indoctrination, at the top of the list.

Thanks for the reply ---- helps me stay calibrated in this land of blind obedience.

default

Second that. Build and get involved, smoke fire and noise make a lasting impression, you won't get that from a book. Walt Jung and Don Lancaster are iconic.

I guess we could move over to alt.politics.XXX or alt.religion.XXX but have you seen the scum that hang out there? And realistically, shouldn't an engineer also ask if it should be done - as well as how to do it?

The discipline might want to divorce moral obligations but there should be a connection or at least sci.electronics.XXX.morals.

default

The real description is Greedy Reactionaries supporting a dictatorial kleptocracy but that doesn't sound as good as Christian Conservatives supporting family values.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I'd make lying a capital offence.

default

If the death penalty was reserved for corrupt and mendacious politicians and their bribers^H^H^H^H^H^H^Hsupporters it might actually be effective.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

I wouldn't reserve it for politicians - no "little white lies" no lying to your kids to shut them up, no wiggle room - ala Bill Clinton "I never had sex with that woman, WMD?, " no lies when one's wife asks "do you think I'm fat?" (my wife would never ask that) No "kitten heaven" no tooth fairy, no Santa Claus.

The so-called "age of innocence" is a pack of lies - so lying is therefore OK? that would be the inference . . ..

Yeah, Aunt Mary is in a better place . . . sure, she's been gutted by a medical examiner, sewed up by a medical flunky, had her veins opened and pumped with deadly poisons, and she'll be put in the ground where worms will try to eat her corpse and die of poisoning in this decade anyhow.

If you believe in the Jews/Christian version of God It was "Thou Shalt not bear False Witness against thy Neighbor" And would an all-powerful god not have carved out a mountain to provide a law library if needed, instead of leaving interpretation of a few tablets up to mortals? Not just mortals - self styled /seers/Delphi/ politicians/priests/rabbis/whatever. Conflict of interest . . ;

If you believe in spiritual philosophy - I'm with you, just leave religion out of it.

I think that was (may have been) the message of Christ (believe the philosophy leave out the shamans) - before the Catholics got the franchise. After all, the New Testament was probably written by Rabbis (they being schooled in writing and recording unlike the population, and it was written some 300 to 400 years after the last apostle died.) - not exactly Xerox . . .

Sorry for the rant

Trying to reconcile paying taxes - supporting an unjust war that kills people - with my self respect.

default

Actually IMO Cheney is the real president. Bush is Cheney's beard, because Cheney couldn't get elected directly.

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

"ken" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@m79g2000cwm.googlegroups.com:

Welcome to Usenet.