New in electronics

I just bought a book (Electronics for Dummies) and id like to know what skills it would require to start working with microcontrolers. How long would it take and what is th best kit to start with?

Reply to
ryan

The easiest starting point with microcontrollers is probably the PICAXE series from

These are MicroChip PICs with a built-in BASIC interpreter. The PICAXE chips start about $3US and go up from there, depending on the capabilities. I'm currently using an 08M (the $3 chip) to control a water level detector/sump pump controller and another 08M to control the fan in an A/V cabinet (on at 86F off, off at 82F).

The programming software is a free download and there is a very active support forum.

I also speak C, C++ and a little Jave, but the combination of on-chip capabilities and the development IDE is much easier for the beginner.

An alternatie is the BASIC Stamp, which is also a microcontroller with on-board BASIC interpreter. The Stamp is faster and has more memory, but they start around $40US.

John

Reply to
John

Maybe we need a public domain version of this!

Reply to
Homer J Simpson

** Quite advanced ones - no hope for "dummies".
** How long is a piece of string ......

....... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Dont listen to 'em Ryan. Dont learn Basic and dont learn PIC processors. Learn C and Atmel AVR processors. Start at avrbeginners.net

Reply to
BobG

"BobG"

** Shame that is NOT learning electronics at all.

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There is a lot of info about micros at:

Don...

--
Don McKenzie
E-Mail Contact Page:               http://www.dontronics.com/e-mail.html

======================================== yeah, but if you are a Sierra Hotel programmer, you can write your own ticket and dont have to know nuthin about dumb ol electronics. That stuff's passe. For old geezers over 50 that used to make their own radios.

Reply to
BobG

Thanks for the replies, i just want to take this up as a hobby and maybe take slasses in electronics of some sort in college. Making LEDs turn on is fun and all but i want something a tad more advanced which i why id like to get started in microcontrollers. Ill try most of your ideas and see what i like. Ryan

Reply to
ryan

Way too broad a question to answer simply.

What is it you want to do ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore