advice on electronics career in uk?

Hi there folks,

I was hoping anyone with experience in the UK could offer me some career advice. I'm actually currently doing a PhD in animal behaviour, expecting to be finished next year. Frequently I need bespoke equipment to automate experiments, and often I've built it myself. Initially this was to save money but I've really started to enjoy doing learning about electronics and using the knowlege practically. I get a real kick out of being able to buy some cheap components and build something working with little more than a soldering iron. So, seeing as a career in accademia is really really difficult these days, I've been thinking about trying to get into electronic engineering profesionally. Now, obviously the big problem is I have a degree in biology, not electronics. However, I have found one or two jobs which offer on the job electronics engineering training, even for non-engineering graduates. For an example, see

for my current dream job.

So, I was wondering, are jobs like that, which I think I might have a chance of getting, extremely rare? I'm suspecting that only a really big unusual organisation like the BBC would take on untrained engineers. Does anyone have any advice about how to find more similar vacancies or about how to improve my chances? Is there anything else you think I need to know? I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks very much,

Ben

Reply to
Ben