Name this knob

I have an electric guitar. It has a 4 position switch that selects which of the three pickups, or all of them. There is a piece of metal that sticks up, which is supposed to have a knob on it. Knob was missing. Besides appearance, that metal shaft is sharp and dont feel good on the hand.

But this is not your typical round shaft, it's a flat piece of metal about 1/4" wide and 1/32 inch thick. So the knob will have a slit in it. The guitar is a Silvertone from probably the 1970s, so I wont likely find an original knob. But I am not all that picky about getting an original, as long as I can get something that fits.

I did call a music store and was told that they will check what they have, but said he doubts they have anything. (Will call me back). So it looks like I am gonna have to fidn something at an electronics store or ebay. My question is *What do you call this sort of knob*? I dont know what words to search for.

Reply to
oldschool

It's a motivation to read the poem "Today we have naming of parts", which will not help at all.

Then get a short bit of 1/4 inch nylon or similar rod, cut it down the middle, stick the two halves onto your sharp shaft and fit a standard knob.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

If you google "guitar lever switch" and than "images" you would find a dogpile of switches, few of which are for guitar pickups.

Boris
Reply to
Boris Mohar

[...]

*************************************

Go to a guitar parts site such as this one.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

take a 1/4" shaft and hacksaw through it so it forms two D-shaped pieces. Hold the D's against the switch shaft and slip a standard knob onto the 3- piece set. Then, tighten the screw on the knob to hold it together.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

It's a motivation to read the poem "Today we have naming of parts", which will not help at all.

Then get a short bit of 1/4 inch nylon or similar rod, cut it down the middle, stick the two halves onto your sharp shaft and fit a standard knob.

Mike.

*******************************

This is not a rotary switch.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

My question is *What do you call this sort of knob*?

It's called a knob...

Probably a knob from a Strat or Tele will fit. Bring the guitar to the music store; I'm sure they have a box o' knobs you can rifle through.

The best news is that if they're old knobs, they're not made in China...

Reply to
John-Del

Google "guitar pickup knob" and you will see a plethora of knobs that will fit your application.

Oh wait...... google...... never mind.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

Fortunately I cannot see whatever you are waving about ;-)

(I have just been watching a TV programme about Harvey Weinstein.)

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Coon

But this is not your typical round shaft, it's a flat piece of metal about 1/4" wide and 1/32 inch thick. So the knob will have a slit in it.

**************************

Hmmm. and thereby lies the problem with your oldendays measurement system.

You can't get closer than "about" 1/4 inch in a single sentence.

You need a pair of cheap mm callipers.

Gareth

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

---------------------------

** Guitars are often fitted with multi-way LEVER switches, like the one you describe.

May have 3,4 or 5 ways depending on the number of PUs while some use 2-way toggles - often with a centre, double ON position that caters for 2 PUs. Lever types are quicker for the player to use than a rotary switch and the position easily identified by finger tips alone.

The push-fit knob is similar to ones used with slider controls, particularly those fitted closely spaced on graphic equalisers.

Making a small, grub screw knob secure by packing the gaps as another suggests sounds good if you don't mind putting in the time.

IME, repairing broken & bent shaft pots on guitar amps is part of a great many jobs. Sometimes 1980s Marshalls turn up with the whole lot visibly damaged.

Then there are the 2000 series where the flimsy plastic pots look OK but work intermittently.....

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Take a look at the knobs on eBay (item number:162919395802). Probably the ones you are looking for. I see that this listing only has 3 available. If you only need one, then you should be good to go.

Cheers, Dave M (I'm from the old school too)

snipped-for-privacy@tubes.com wrote:

Reply to
Dave M

Thanks Dave,

That sure does look like the one I need.

Reply to
oldschool

Unlike you, I am an AMERICAN. Americans use Inches, feet, yards and miles.

We dont use no goddamn communistic metrics. The only Meters we use are the ones connected to the wires that enter our homes from the electric power company, or the ones for the gas or water entering our homes.

Using Metrics in America is like hanging a Nazi flag in front of city hall. It's unpatriotic, unAmerican, and politically incorrect. It's like sending someone to their death based on the color of their skin or their religious beliefs.

Our red - white and blue Flags have 50 stars. Each is one inch in size. Our Apple Pies are measured in inches, not centipedes Out liquor comes in pints, quarts, fifths, and gallons. We drink that while proudly raising the American flag, before a Football game. Yes, that's FOOTball, not no stinking commie Milimeter ball. The game is played on a football field measured in YARDS, not no damn commie Meters. And we drive at 55 Miles per hour, to the games in our AMERICAN made Chevrolets, Fords, and Chrysler cars.

I need a caliper that messures in Thousandths, (of a Red - White and Blue AMERICAN Inch).

May God damn those who use Metrics.

God Bless America.

Thank God I'm a country boy!!!

Reply to
oldschool

:) No-one tell him that metres are French

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

------------------------

** Shame those pesky " co-axial DC power connectors " only come in metric sizes - millimetres and tenths of millimetres.

Good thing there was no problem with changing from " cps, kcps & Mcps " to " Hz, kHz and MHz ".

Or was there .....

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That just might be the most asinine rant I've read to date.

Reply to
Terry Schwartz

As I said "You never cease to amaze me with the depth of your ignorance."

--
"I am a river to my people."
Jeff-1.0

Lemme see:

The Metric system was "invented" in 1670, in France. This was well before C ommunism, at that point "Protestantism" was a dirty word in many sectors.

The US auto industry has largely adopted the Metric system so as to compete world-wide, and to standardize parts.

Pretty much anyone with even half-a-brain that has done much of anything wi th tools over the last 40 years will be fluent in both currencies. Some yea rs ago, I was working as a machinist making parts for GE for their engines. About half the shop used metric tools (shaft diameters, fasteners) and hal f the shop was using SAE standards (flange widths and thicknesses, fastener spacing). See, we were selling parts to European and Japanese GE license h olders, as well as sub-assembly consolidators.

As to KM vs. Miles - sheesh! I have driven in 8 countries on three contine nts. Only one uses MPH. One is courteous enough to put up the signs in both in many locations (Saudi), and one does so on main highways (Both of them

- Bahrain). It is _REALLY_ hard to remember that 62.5 MPH = 100 KPH, and that 75 MPH = 120 KPH. And so on and so forth.

And, are you offended to know that we are using Old Arabic Numerals for our numbers, and Italian (Latin) letters? And it was the Arabs that gave us th e 0 (zero), allowing modern calculations?

When it comes to the terms & tools used for the communication of mathematic s and language, we AMERICANS have not contributed much at all. Be glad that you are not British, as you would have to contend with the Whitworth stand ard in addition. That would likely cause your brain to explode.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

Reply to
pfjw

Lemme see:

The Metric system was "invented" in 1670, in France. This was well before Communism, at that point "Protestantism" was a dirty word in many sectors.

The US auto industry has largely adopted the Metric system so as to compete world-wide, and to standardize parts.

Pretty much anyone with even half-a-brain that has done much of anything with tools over the last 40 years will be fluent in both currencies. Some years ago, I was working as a machinist making parts for GE for their engines. About half the shop used metric tools (shaft diameters, fasteners) and half the shop was using SAE standards (flange widths and thicknesses, fastener spacing). See, we were selling parts to European and Japanese GE license holders, as well as sub-assembly consolidators.

Peter Wieck Melrose Park, PA

I seem to regularly come across nuts that fit on a metric bolt, that don't fit any metric socket well. An imperial one from my Halfords socket set fits perfectly.

Work that one out.

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis