Name for this type of pot ?

Generic or trade name, the one in front of me just has a militasry type string of numbers Multiturn. about 10 turn, but not helical track , just single track but the distinctive feature is 3 ball bearings turned by and in close association with the spindle to give a sort of sun and planets gearing

N Cook

the

the numbers on this one are

6420679-0 137.6632
Reply to
N Cook

Precision pot, 10 turn dial, multiturn pot, used on scopes etc. for fine control of the delay.

Sometimes the 10 turn assy is separate from the actual pot, fixing to the shaft just like a normal knob.

I believe the correct term for the drive arrangement is 'reciprocating ball'

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

association

These aren't precision pots they are just normal 3/4 or whatever arc of a circle carbon track and wiper but avoid need of a normal coarse and a fine pot. Effectively a basic pot, but a bit deeper, otherwise much the same size as a basic pot, but with a small 10 to 1 reduction drive in the spindle .

N Cook

The precision part refers to the ability to adjust in small increments rather than the quality of the track itself. A ten turn drive will accept any normal carbon track pot.

The old fashioned way was to fit an enormous knob like on those old BBC broadcast mixers.

Ron(UK)

Reply to
Ron(UK)

fine

as a

I think of precision meaning linearity so usually wire-wound.

N Cook

Please see thread "Need sources for pot with planetary drive" in rec.radio.amateur.homebrew or comp.arch.embedded and view photos at

for some additional insight into this product.

Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

the

association

Yes near enough the same as the one I have here. Recently repaired a 30 year old Compass metal detector which used one. The ones in my junk heap came from a junked analogue computer from the 60s , a college needed the space where it last ended up. It was about 5x2x8 feet in size.

N Cook

On Fri, 03 Aug 2007 11:14:15 +0100, "Ron(UK)" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Do you mean "recirculating ball" ?

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Yes I do, thanks