Yet you said this yesterday:

From: "Commander Kinsey" Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 20:09:20 +0100 Message-ID:

I find it crazy that you can select volts and have the wires in the amps holes. ... I've broken a meter doing that, just measuring the

One aspect of "set it to what I'm about to measure" should normally include: "are the leads in the correct jacks".

Reply to
Rich

No it does not . It is designed to protect its self from voltage on the ohms scale. They are only about $ 130

Even better is a quick tester by Fluke. it has 2 leads and about 8 or so leds on it. Both it and the T1000 look similar to bannanas, even yellow in color. The 2nd tester is fully automatic. Connect the two leads to anything under 600 or so volts. If voltage, the leds light up , the more for more voltage. Anoter is for AC or DC. If there is less than about 200 ohms and no voltage, there is a led and buzzer for that.

About as fool proof as they make it for quick tests.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

:

No, because it's illogical to change two things to set one thing.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Howe does it measure ohms and distinguish its own current from the current from the circuit? That's if you're testing a DC circuit.

Does it check for current if there's no voltage?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

No, it is designed to protect its self.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Just how can there be curent if there is no voltage ?

There is no current by the leads, but works like a clamp on meter to check for AC Current. Does not do DC current.

There can be voltage but no current.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Like butting your head against a brick wall, isn't it?

Reply to
Pimpom

Well, yes.

Somebody that gives themself the moniker "commander kinsey" either has too much regard for themself or is indicating they intend to be a troll.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

[about accuracy/error specifications on a multimeter]

When the literature says percent, and doesn't say what it's percent OF, the error is unspecified. I've got facemasks that are "90% efficient' which apparently means that ninety percent of the air I breathe goes through them...

Reply to
whit3rd

Now you're just being silly. The only measurement of face masks is how well they block viruses. In your case, the mask lets 10% of the virus through, which means it's shit.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Fuck off. Google is the problem.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Who are you telling to f*ck off? Don't you know how to quote?

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Don't you know how to follow a thread? I am using Google Groups from a cell phone while my broadband is out. If you can't handle that, just go away.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

No such thing as a troll, just someone you disagree with.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's not grammar, it's missing off an entuire word, the one with the meaning in it!

It's like saying "Today I went out and did some".

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Not really. If you can only count with your fingers you probably aren't building anything impressive to start with. The entire fallacy of "metric is easy, base 10, duh" is just bullshit. Check dimensions of anything designed by people that don't know what fractions are. There are tons of weird numbers like 13.1mm and so forth. It's no different than 1-1/8th inches.

The guage for sheet metal is sort of obnoxious. It will vary by type of metal as well, if that makes any sense.

how many microns thick is your plastic trash bag? The last ones I got were speced on the box as "0.7 mil" There's no false sense of precision there, like with the 610mm countertop or whatever it was.

Would round be 320mm and 430mm instead of 317 and 429? Do you split in 5mm increments too? I'm really curious about this.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

It took you more than a week to think up that comeback? Anyway, good luck with your self-appointed job of reforming the usage of American slang which, by the way, has pervaded much of the world outside the US.

And what does "entuire" mean? Blimey! Skitt's Law, you know, old boy.

That would be quite acceptable if the context were known.

Reply to
Pimpom

The simpson meters are interesting in that they have as many jacks as they they positions on the switch. You really need to move the leads around all the time to do anything. I guest it makes you think, a little. I did catch myself reading the ohms range wrong though recently.

I just got one of those clamp current multimeters. I noticed some glaring limitations vs the full out Fluke 87 V, but at the same time, it's way more "idiot-proof".

The current ranges, even for DC at only available though the current clamp. It's just not possible to short anything out with the test probes. The downside (not really surprising) is no low current ranges. Ok fine. The input impedance is pretty low at 1Meg as well, but for poking at line voltage wiring, this is fine. Again, no matter what range you are set it, it appears to be impossible to blow up the meter as it has no low resistance across the leads modes. The ohms range seems to max out at 40k or something surprisibly low like that, again, no big deal for prodding at lighting circuits or an outlet, or some 24 volt circuit.

Getting all sorts of wonky reading with the banana jack type K thermocouple though. It seems the meter has an internal thermometer and it compares to the junction at the end of the probe. Not really sure how that all works and how the temperatures of the banana jacks affect things as they are not the special metals in the leads of the probe. I know with normal process controllers, and deviation of the correct connector or metals used will result in really strange readings.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader