Error of % + digits?

I have not ran any tests for AC . The things I work with don't care about very much about being accurate to more than around 5 %. Usually it is more of do I have a voltage/current or not.

When I work on most anything other than low voltage (below 100 volts) I ues either my Simpson 260 analog meter or a Fluke meter that is rated for cat 3 and 4. If you have not heard of the Cat numbers, they are for devices used in different power circuits. I don't know the numbers off hand, but it goes something like this, Cat 1 is for low voltage items, Cat 2 for things like stoves and refrigerators, Cat 3 for homw wiring,and Cat 4 for the very high power circuits like I often worked on like the 480 volt AC and 300 amps.

For a real scare you should see some of the safety movies that Fluke put out. They show under test conditions what can hapen to inexpensive meters and their meters under different conditions like having the meter set for amps and putting across a 480 volt circuit that has plenty of amps .

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

Ahh the old "Leaving it on amps" trick. How many of us can say they never did it ?

Reply to
RheillyPhoull

or even just this document.

  Jasen.
Reply to
Jasen Betts

How do I know which one the % error refers to, as I've never seen it stated in the instructions? That would make a big difference if I was reading 0.4 amps on a 10 amp range.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I've got thermostats like that, I've calibrated them to 0.1C. Trouble is, they have remote sensors which work perfectly, but if the actual unit gets very warm (as in direct sunlight), the reading goes up by as much as 2C. Nevermind, they happen to be in my conservatory (the main source of heat in the summer), along with the air conditioner, so on a hot day they switch it on slightly too soon, then correct themselves when the AC cools them off.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

In America, what is a "mill"? In the UK, it used to mean a thousandth of an inch, but people use it to mean a millimetre nowadays.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

It's not a mill. It's mil - single l. It means, and has always meant, a thousandth of an inch. It's not an Americanism.

Reply to
Pimpom

In the UK "mill" means millilitre.

If you want to refer to fractions of an inch, then it is /always/ "thou", i.e. thousandths of an inch.

In the UK "mil/mill" /never/ means 0.001".

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Indeed. In Scotland, the government is actually considering throwing money around to produce pointless jobs to fit insulation into houses.

1) You don't create jobs for the sake of it, you might as well just hand that money to those workers. 2) We've already got insulation from the last round of tax wasting. 3) If you want insulation, pay for it yourself.
Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Is it the controller that's off by 2C when it warms up?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Does this involve the insulation cladding or panels attached to the ouside of building?

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

My bad. This is the first time I heard that the mil is not used as the unit for .001" in the UK. (I'm *not* an American).

Reply to
Pimpom

Not sure, I have no interest in having other people do things to my house, I do DIY.

I assume the answer to your question is "sometimes", based on what's been done to other houses previously. If it's double brick, they pump in stuff through drilled holes. If it's single brick, they attach foam sheets then put pebbledash over it.

My house is double brick with just an air gap. R of 6 is enough for me.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes. The controller is in the conservatory in direct sunlight. The sensor is on a long wire in a cooler room (the living room) which is what I want to control the temperature of. The controller's reading goes up by 2C if it gets really hot, but the AC blows across it, so it doesn't do it wrong for long.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

Yes it does. My neighbour's a tradesman (in Scotland) and says "mill/mil" (I don't know which as they sound the same in speech) as shorthand for millimetre. As in "that kitchen unit is 600 mill wide". Since we don't use inches for such things in the UK, there's no confusion.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

If you're not American why did you say "my bad"? Your bad what? Finish the sentence!

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

I only expect such ambiguity from Australians. They say "6 Ks" to mean 6 km. I say the complete words. Kilometre, millimetre, millilitre, etc.

Reply to
Commander Kinsey

So now you're a grammar Nazi? This after I (and others) spent considerable time and effort patiently explaining to you a concept that many/most readers here probably already knew, and would quickly grasp if they didn't. Sheesh!

And is there a law against non-Americans using an American expression? FYI I'm none of these: American, British, Australian or Canadian - or a citizen of any other country where English is natively spoken.

Reply to
Pimpom
[...]

Just drop it. There are better things to do than to argue with a cantankerous teenager. If a conversation turns into a source of irritation, the best way is to simply drop out.

Jeroen Belleman

Reply to
Jeroen Belleman

Precisely.

That was my decision too. An easy decision given the moniker "Commander Kinsey" is either someone that has too high a regard for themselves, or is indicating that they intend to troll.

Reply to
Tom Gardner