a question about resistors in an arc experiment

Why don't you try that and get back to us?

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

OF COURSE it's unstable at its operating point. It's a negative resistor!

John

Oops, you're right. Sorry for my confusion :(

--

John Devereux
Reply to

e power.

ey'll

tial,

the

then

A friend lent me a book written by some guy who did his work before tubes were common. He was doing UHF/microwaves with a spark gap. He didn't fully understand what exactly he was doing but he knew that something was resonating with the dimensions of the brass structures he was trying. He thought of it as organ pipes and the like to try to get a grasp on the effects he was seeing. Some of his structures had dimensions around 1/2 inch.

Reply to
MooseFET

I think she's right Jim...

(If this keeps up I'm going to have to build the ****ing thing.)

--

John Devereux
Reply to

It needn't get cold. Yes, I have complained about frost forming on the heatsink of the DC-DC converter design I was working on but that is not the only way the energy can be taken out of the environment. Consider the Dark Emitting Diode. It doesn't get cold because it takes in electromagnetic energy.

In real life, a dynamic microphone connected to a backwards diode based rectifier would also take in energy without getting cold.

Reply to
MooseFET

Unless there's quantum physics involved. :)

Reply to
MooseFET

The two circuits are quite different in how they act. Yours is only stable when the input impedance is high and mine is only stable when the input impedance is low. For yours, consider a 1mA current source on the input.

With 1mA in the op-amps output must be 1mV lower than the inputs.

Because of the divider, the inputs are at 1/2 the output.

The output is at -2mV and the inputs are at -1mV meaning we do have our minus ohms.

Reply to
MooseFET

Consider the infinite source impedance case as I did in the reply near here.

My version is not stable with a high impedance input.

Reply to
MooseFET

All of my switchers that run much above 100% efficiency have that problem.

John

Above version, apply +1V voltage SOURCE to input... UNSTABLE

Above version, apply +1V voltage SOURCE to input... STABLE

See my annotations above.

You're basically playing with a Howland current source/pump. "Stability" is source impedance dependent.

...Jim Thompson

Were you looking for 'lathargic', you retarded twit?

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

The Cycles Of Time will prove you to be correct.

Reply to
The Great Attractor

Only the second circuit is correct, in that it presents a linear negative resistance to the world.

I'd modify the circuit to

to make it more practical and increase headroom/swing. -1 ohm would only be usable over maybe a +-20 mV signal span with a typical opamp, and offset errors would be relatively huge.

John

Lotharian-- followers of German reformer Lex Lothar.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Be sure to include your tin alien attack shielding cap.

Reply to
Archimedes' Lever

Wasn't he that nasty guy in "Batman" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

| 1962 | I love to cook with wine Sometimes I even put it in the food

Obviously not; there's no such word.

You must really enjoy being wrong, since you do it all the time.

John

Superman.

John

Martin Luther ?

Lex Luthor mainly against Superman. but yeah, a DC comics bad guy.

Reply to
Jasen Betts