HV arc question

Set in question is a late model Sharp 25". I'm electronic savvy but not a TV guy.

It has been really humid here lately and the set has experienced arcing around the HV connector on the picture tube. Usually it would stop after a few seconds according to wife and kids.

It has only gotten worse so I checked it out today. There are burnt traces in the rubber seal and even some etching in the glass immediately around the connector. I cleaned it up the best I could.

The LONG arcs have stopped now but I still hear some sizzling inside the connector. What is the proper remedy for this? Is there a HV insulating coating that should be applied? Replace the rubber cap?

I'll have to mail-order whatever I need so suggestions as to brands/vendor would also be helpful.

Thanks in advance, Bill in Puerto Rico

Reply to
-ex-

You have to clean it up real well since the carbon is conductive, scrub every bit of it off that you can. Then get a tube of HV dielectric grease, normally automotive parts stores sell it in the ignition section, just smear the suction cup underside with it and put it back together.

Reply to
James Sweet

And make to discharge the CRT before you touch it! :)

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Sites:

Note: These links are hopefully temporary until we can sort out the excessive traffic on Repairfaq.org.

Important: Anything sent to the email address in the message header above is ignored unless my full name is included in the subject line. Or, you can contact me via the Feedback Form in the FAQs.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

Thanks guys. I scrubbed it a bit more with acetone and toothbrush and all arcing has now stopped. I should be able to get the HT grease locally so I think I'm good to go.

Thanks, Bill

Reply to
-ex-