About Zero Ohms resistors

Could any one be so kind to explain to me what are the zero ohm resistors and what are they used for? Thanks!

Reply to
Simon Dice

Soldered jumpers.

Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Kirwan

Convenience.

You could use wire links too but not all auto-insert machinery is set up to do this.

On the SMD level a zerohm link is the only option.

Widely used to avoid requiring a 2 layer pcb.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I use them for "I might need a resistor here". For example, in one of my current designs I've got four 0603 footprints forming a "plus" on each I/O port (the wires run across the house, lots of EMI issues, etc) - one from the driver to the common point, one from power to the common point, one from ground, one from the common point ot the terminal block. That way, I can wire it up for whatever type of filter (RC, termination, 1wire pullup, etc) I need. Zero ohm resistors would be used when no resistance was needed.

VCC | [ ] [ ] | driver ----[] []---+---[] []---- terminal | [ ] [ ] | GND

You can also use them to disconnect parts of the circuit from each other, either for debugging or for alternate designs. Sort of a hard-wired SPST or SPDT switch.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Super conductors for situations when you need infinite current but only have a few volts available ;)

Reply to
Dorian McIntire

Only in really crappy designs. OTOH, you rarely see a decent design on a single sided PC board.

prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

They have a number of good uses:

  1. To configure a board for a particular use.
  2. To ground unused inputs.
  3. To prevent accident reprogramming.
  4. For a Zero dB Pad (Attenuator or gain control) where you eliminate the two resistors to ground, and replace the series resistor with Zero ohms for a direct connection.
prove it.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

It's just a jumper. The thing is, a little piece of wire won't fit in the claw of a pick-and-place machine. They don't want to assemble by hand, so the wire gets a little epoxy jacket to make it fatter.

--
Reply in group, but if emailing add another
zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

to replace the solder blob, hope I speel it correct :)

Reply to
ccon67

jumpers?

--