Wither S.R.B.P.

't

It costs 150 to 200 yuens to ship a 10 yuens FR-4 or 2 yuens FR-2 to you.

And you said previously: "Who said anything about saving money?"

Reply to
linnix

Exactamente.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

That's the ticket: You've got to take a risk and build up the personnel to support such new markets.

I am doing exactly that with a new client but my part will be the engineering aspects. Taking an industrial use technology into medical. And here I wanted to migrate away from medical because PL coverage is now pretty much unobtanium in the US. Every time I skadaddle away from medical someone comes with a lasso and ropes me back in.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Everytime I cut this stuff the smell reminds me of my childhood. Digikey still sells phenolic Vector board:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

So if I order 20 boards the shipping cost will be much the same but I save 160 yuens in board costs.

Indeed I did, but I was disagreeing with the statement that 'prototype shops generally don't offer phenolic.'

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

ss

on't

But the factory is not going to do less than 5000 boards, so I can ship you 20 boards for 10,000 yuens.

Reply to
linnix

You can still buy those old phenolic terminal strips with the solder lugs... they used to make radios and TVs with those things (no PCBs, just leaded parts and tube sockets soldered to lug strips).

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

For sauerkraut-wiring? I have lots of those but the ones John Larkin has are much fancier.

Some of my Russky lab bench supplies contain bakelite circuit boards. Amazing. I guess they had forgotten to put enough FR-4 or phenolic into the five-year plan back then.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Sorry, I must have missed something. We are talking prototype shops here not factories.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

You mean like this:

;-)

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Your version of spaghetti-wiring? LOL. I'll have to use that term.

B..B..B..But.. Bakelite *is* phenolic.

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

ness

don't

nly

rom

lf

Prototype shops are often reps for factories. We use FR-4 to prototype FR-2 productions. Someone already told you that, the processes are different.

Reply to
linnix

Ha. I was thinking of this kind.. and remember the "binding post strips" for connecting 300 ohm twinlead or external speakers.

Spehro Pefhany

Gotta judge whether or not the market justifies the work required. The other company thinks it does, but then they don't have to do it. ;-) FWIG, we've already done a demo and they liked it, but...

;-) You'll be working for Obama (Government Medical) soon.

Reply to
krw

Cuts

Yeah, but this is different. It's almost a thick slab and does not have the layered paper-like texture of FR-2, more like that of a 1940's light switch plate. Very dark, too.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

If your company will end up with a big equity stake and exposure it's almost mandatory to talk this over with the end customers, with big ones. They are usually brutally honest, at least with me. When they think something sucks they say it point blank.

Scary. However, private plans don't work either. Just got next years rates. Roughly 10% higher, services watered down, copays for a lot of big-ticket stuff doubled. So it looks more like a camouflaged 15-20% increase. Where exactly do these super-inflationary increases come from? Fact is, lots of people will get priced out of the market and a mandate will do nothing about it unless prices come down.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Cuts

Oh yes, I have some of those too.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

Yes, that is the real fear - that this 'reform' will mean we all MUST get insurance, which will increase in cost 25%. Refuse to pay, and you get jail time...

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie E.

AIUI, the only risk would be the modifications to an existing design. We would only be the manufacturer. The other company would be responsible for product definition and marketing.

The government has set them up to fail. Fixing the insurance mess would be simple, if that were the goal.

Sure, the house of cards is designed to fail. The result will *not* be better. It will be a *lot* worse. This government cant even get a trivial "cash for clunkers" give away right. How is it going to deal with a hospital bill?

Reply to
krw

No, you'll just be fined a quarter of your income and still have no insurance. Refuse to pay the fine and you will be jailed (tax evasion). It's in there.

Reply to
krw