Carbonless Paper

I've been Googling for awhile and it's hard to find NCR carbonless paper in my neighborhood. I'm looking for NCR paper 8.5"x11", xero/form II uncollated paper 2 part white NCR0481 or similiar. (Some dude on Amazon.com has it.) Last I checked, Staples doesn't have it. Called customer service at Office Depot and she says "What's NCR carbonless paper?" In case:

Clippings from

sept 1999 " Appleton Papers is the world's largest producer of carbonless paper and the sole producer of the NCR Paper* brand of carbonless paper.

The company sells its carbonless paper products directly to converters and business forms printers who print carbonless forms and to paper merchants who stock and sell carbonless paper to printers.

Appleton Papers chief executive officer Doug Buth said declining demand for carbonless paper has created excess capacity worldwide and prompted the company to sell the Harrisburg facility. ``The market will not support the amount of production capacity available now or in the future,'' said Buth. "

Gee...sounds like the end of carbonless paper. But there's still those credit card receipts!

Patent number 4675706 Filed May 7, 1986 Appleton

Huh... probably expired. Nice timing.... Patent applied 1986, plant sold ~1999, patent expires ~2006.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC
[snip]
[snip]

I am acutely aware of credit card receipts because of tax deductions.

I would say that only about 10% of my transactions use carbonless paper. The bulk of the computers/registers spit out two copies, on with a signature line labeled "Merchant Copy", the other has no signature line and is labeled "Customer Copy".

...Jim Thompson

Just google carbonless forms. I was also looking online this week and found a ton of resources. I guess you are not trying hard enough.

You can even print and pad them yourself if your interested. (about 35$ per

1000 3-part forms IIRC)

Most online sites let you upload a BW form to be used. I also went to office depot and they do not carry the blank paper but already printed forms.

Reply to
Jon Slaughter

[snip]

Most credit card imprinters are being replaced with scanners that print one copy for signature and another as a customer receipt.

Better fraud protection. The customer copy (the one that gets tossed and the thieves go dumpster diving for) has all but the last 4 digits of the CCN Xed out.

Personally, I\'m against people who give vent to their loquacity by
extraneous bombastic circumlocution.
Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Yup.. Cheap printing tech killed carbonless paper. Example: Laser printers go as low as ~$100.00 now.

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

While printers have gotten super cheap, the price of consumables is where printer manufacturers make their biggest chunk of change.

For example, if you run inkjet you'll be looking at $8,000 per gallon of ink. Toner is a little cheaper but not by much. I did the math out one time and found out it cost about 1 or 2 cents a page not including cost of paper.

According to:

Last updated 2006??

Black ink from ink cartridge: $2701.52/gallon Human blood at $1514.79/gallon?? Wow! When I donate, all I get is a cookie and juice :(

Mmmm... Anticoagulant + preservative + blood = cheap ink?? :P Starts off reddish..Then turns carmine

Blood cell: 6.6microns to 7.5microns in diameter Ink jet nozzle diameter: ~45 microns Nahh.. Probably doesn't have the opaqueness of carbon pigment. :P

However, would make for cool Youtube material :)

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

Wow, what timing!

I currently have a need for some NCR-type sales forms. Cost is not a huge concern as I only need a few hundred to get started, and I might change the layout going forward anyway (so I don't even want a huge stockpile!).

I am probably just going to order from

HOWEVER, anybody know a good program to layout one of these forms?? Excel seems obvious, but it really isn't all that "pretty". PhotoShop would get the job done, but that's pixel based and would take a while.

Isn't there a NCR form layout tool available? I have the same problem for a creating a HTML web-based twin of this form. Ideally, something that accepts placeholders, instead of having to generate each HTML form on the fly. Remember these are 2 separate issues. One hard-copy print, the other HTML.

Help is definitely appreciated! Thanks.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

On Mar 7, 9:04=EF=BF=BDpm, "Paul Hovnanian P.E." wrote:=

Required by Florida and New York (last 5 digitis) state laws, by the way. Probably others as well. In both states, this requirement applies to "receipts", so it's not clear to me whether the restriction would also apply to Sales Orders and/or Contracts.....

Doesn't matter though, we decided on a different approach to collect the card data.

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

I have actually seen and heard that Acrobat composer and MSword can both do a decent job. I have played with Acrobat and MSword and both will do the job. I suggest pencil and paper first, then convert to computer files. Knowing what you want to compose on the form is far more important that the tool used to finish the form. Since you want hardcopy and HTML word is probably the MSwin tool of choice.

Reply to
JosephKK

Almost found it..

And the site lists Merchant Offices for US and Canada :)

I'm following a paper trail... :P

D from BC British Columbia Canada.

Reply to
D from BC

At my former place of employment they switched to this fancy color coded filing system so all the folders had to have color labels printed.

Only thing we could really afford was inkjet, ended up with an HP K550. That thing ate ink but then they printed almost 30 new folder labels a day.

shows 258 programs in these catagories: : Shareware | Freeware | Commercial Demos | OpenSource Licenses | Other Licenses

shows 3220 programs

shofs 497 programs.

A lot of freeware, and interesting plugins.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

ate

Thanks Mike! I'll sift through these....

Forgot to think about Tucows. Plus, I'm somehow in the mindest that I need PRINTED output, not a web- based form. In other words, I'm trying to layout for the printed NCR page......

But you're right. Do it on screen and just screen capture it. What a concept!

-mpm

Reply to
mpm

Some of those programs create printed forms. If you have full Adobe Acrobat there are plugins that let you type in the information, and print. Another approach is HTML with Javascript to fill in the missing information.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida