Wither S.R.B.P.

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ym-VuoeUyKwJ:

Well, why would you want phenolic then? Some sort of electric properties maybe? Or maybe nostalgia :-)

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ym-VuoeUyKwJ:

Probably they meant alumina, a ceramic. Did many designs with it.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

One possible reason is odd-shaped boards. Paper boards are easier to tool and punch out.

Reply to
linnix

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ym-VuoeUyKwJ:

Yep. Did many products at Dickson Electronics on alumina substrates. Back before microprocessors, GM, and others, did huge logic collections on 0.125" alumina substrates... so strong you could drive nails with them ;-)

Best alumina provider? Coors ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ym-VuoeUyKwJ:

I did not say I wanted it it. I said I had just completed a PCB that turned out single sided and my local PCB manufacturer said SRBP is no longer used. All I asked was if it were still available.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

And smells like old electronics when you do! 8-)

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Loverrly!!!

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

...and you're going to need six-digit volumes to pay for the tooling to do the punching.

Reply to
krw

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ym-VuoeUyKwJ:

Did they clean it out of the bottom of their brewing vats?

Reply to
krw

[snip]

Nope.

Coors, in their normal course of the beer business, needs very fine filters.

The best filters are made of Alumina.

Clear back further than I can remember (before 1970 when I first bought Alumina from them) they decided to make their own Alumina.

As an aside they discovered they could sell the stuff to the electronics industry as well ;-) ...Jim Thompson

                     In wine there is wisdom,
                    In beer there is freedom,
                   In water there is bacteria
                                               - Benjamin Franklin

I just thought that their beer tasted like Al. No one would make anything like that on purpose.

Reply to
krw

es

Not really, we did 5000 3"x1" boards. But we would not do any less.

Reply to
linnix

http://74.125.155.132/search?q=cache:Ym-VuoeUyKwJ:

Nah, aluminum clad has been really popular for the past few years in commercial designs such as automotive and LED lighting (the Luxeon Star and all the clones use such a substrate). Originally it was just single-sided SMT-only, but more versatile variations are coming on line.

Of course the advantage is that you can get the heat out more easily.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's smart. I lost count how often I tried to convince folks in sales in the medical industry to sell their stuff to industry as well. The milliseconds it's even slightly off the beaten track they usually won't even consider it. Lots of money is being left on the table.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg
[...]

It makes no sense. At small qties NRE and such totally swamp the materials costs. So prototype shops generally don't offer phenolic.

At large qties it's no problem to get phenolic.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

I've done RF stuff up to a couple hundred MHz on phenolic. Others were more brazen and went to almost a GHz.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/

Use another domain or send PM.
Reply to
Joerg

Must have been a trivial board, something simple enough for even Slowman to understand.

Reply to
krw

We're always looking for new markets for current products. We've even had medical companies pounding on the door, but so far haven't had the people to support them.

Reply to
krw

I don't believe that. It is a very competitive market and FR-2 is half the material cost of FR-4.

Cheers

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

I would most certainly expect to pay at least as much, most likely more or considerably more, if I specified a cheaper material (from a prototype house).

The point isn't that it's a few pennies cheaper on a board or two, it's that it is different from what most of their customers are happy with, and will likely incur much higher costs for them all the way through their processes.

Typically epoxy-glass boards are priced per square inch. For phenolic boards we talk about square meters...

Reply to
Spehro Pefhany