Windows 7 is garbage

Me too!

It has been crash free for years.

Now that I have said that, it'll be crashed tomorrow.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Technically, Win98SE used FAT32, which is much much worse than NTFS if something latches the computer. I used Win98SE and am a bit slow on the uptake, so when many DAW plugins would go off to see the wizard and hang the system, it resulted in data loss.

I say "slow on the uptake" because it took a while to figure out which plugins caused latching.

That's a big problem.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

It's worse than that - Microsoft is famous for having hired nothing but freshouts and letting support sort it out.

This turned out to be a market *advantage* because a small army of desktop support people emerged whose job now depended on things not working well. Remember Ballmer screaming "developers, developers,developers..." ? Like that.

Its is not impossible to manage this as a developer but it takes a lot of record-keeping and being able to argue long term costs.

--
Les Cargill
Reply to

Right from the start, MS's sole aim was to drive out the competitors and lock in customers. Providing a stable/rugged operating system.was farthest from their minds. So, early Windows(95 etc.,) versions had the nasty tendency of allowing user applications to overwrite supposedly restricted memory locations(supposedly reserved for the OS itself) leading to the computer crashing/freezing etc., A lot of these issues were fixed in XP, but the "super bright" bosses at MS, instaed of building on it, chose, in their infinite wisdom to create/release Vista, a disaster from the word go -- I know this from personal experience. I was was interning with the Toshiba team that was trying to load/install/test Vista on a new laptop, and each time we tried to boot the OS it would crash. There were 25 test laptops, and not all can be defective at the same time, especially when each laptop tested out fine with XP. Things came to a point where our seniors started phoning their counterparts in MS. Finally, the imperial majesties in MS deigned to send a few engineers, who initially tried to prove that we doing things all wrong, but left later with glum faces. A CD with the "service packed" OS arrived a week later, and then each laptop started working fine. You see, Intel and MS scratched each other's back for too long and suffered while the rest of the world adapted to RISC and Linux(and its variants -- MacOSX, Android etc.,) and profited immensely -- MS stands nowhere in the embedded devices arena. Very recently they tried to block off competing OSes by imposing the UEFI framework, but popular motherboard makers as Gigabyte make widely available motherboards with dual BIOSes and so we have brand new computers happily running Windows XP(not UEFI compliant), not to mention all latest versions of Linux. Most likely, MS realized way too late that their BIOS is a piece of crap. As for the other MS products, the less said the better. Visual C++ compiler does not comply with a large number of ANSI specifications. MS created a large number of useless languages as C#,C##, J# etc., but how come plain old ANSI C remains the most popular general purpose programming language ? The .NET framework uses both explicit pointers (like C/C++) and implicit pointers(like Java) But what is the need for this mess ? I have had the good fortune of working with Linux (except for brief periods as mentioned above) both at work and home..

Reply to
dakupoto

--
A poor workman blames his tools.
Reply to

A poor thinker spouts cliches.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

"Broke" is according to you, and is invoked by changes which you
couldn't, behind your current attitude, possibly understand.

It would be be better if, instead of kvetching here, you directed your
wise counsel towards Bill Gates' email, since I'm sure he'd love to
find out exactly what he's doing wrong.

JF
Reply to
John Fields

--
So a poor workman doesn't blame his tools?]

JF
Reply to
John Fields

Like random coloration of b+w text? Like double-clicks not working in Explorer? Like the uparrow "directory above" thing gone? Like standard webcams no longer working? Like endless nags when you do normal file moves? Like uninvited background loads of gigabytes of Windows 10?

All must be things that you understand and love.

Bill Gates is long retired from Microsoft.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That is what she said...

Reply to
Robert Baer

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:42:13 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Then Bill Gates should go out back and shoot himself. And his little Balmer dog too!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:26:37 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

Investing in Clinton's foundation, for one thing.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:35:52 -0600, John Fields Gave us:

A poor workman is too illiterate to lay blame, proper or otherwise.

Windows has had issues for years.

It is a known, hard fact.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 13:28:15 -0800, Robert Baer Gave us:

No... "she" never says that for fear of getting smacked, as most losers are losers in many ways.

I suspect this is the reason Donald Trump has been divorced so many times, and his current wife kowtows to his current bullshit.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Bill and Melinda are doing some good stuff with their ill-gained billions, like trying to cure malaria and such.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

To paraphrase Freud, sometimes a bad tool is just a bad tool.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Well, you did say W7, and I've had none of those problems so what,
exactly, are you talking about?
Reply to
John Fields

You have progressed to just about 100% jerk. Sad.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

On Thu, 12 Nov 2015 16:01:00 -0800, John Larkin Gave us:

You have *never* been able to make an intelligent argument against your betters. And you *always* run away when it happens.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

--
Ah...

Not unexpected, since when reasoned rebuttal escapes you, ad hominem
epithets inexorably follow.

BTW, if you like to cook and you can take a day or so out of your busy
USENET life to do something nice and make some serious Gumbo, try
this:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/gumbo.html

JF
Reply to