outlook is garbage

It does most everything wrong.

Just in case nobody noticed.

Reply to
jlarkin

isn't perfect either but I haven't found anything better if you want an installed client which can handle many different email addresses.

Reply to
Edward Rawde

Avocent Outlook KVMs work fine for me. Oddly, the power LED burned out one unit I've had for ages.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Is it not a case of garbage in, garbage out?

Reply to
TTman

I am happy with Thunderbird. Tracks usenet and emails just fine.

It isn't perfect, but it is far closer than MS Outlook or Apple Mail!

John :-#)#

Reply to
John Robertson

It has worked for me for a few years now. I moved to it when Eudora's support ran out.

Reply to
Anthony William Sloman

Works here, for what it does. I use text-only correspondence and put up with its shortcomings.

Had to pay for it when W7 came along, then pay for

2nd source SW to transfer it from one machine to another; but there's 20yrs of correspondence recorded in it now, that hasn't gone missing at any time, through 3 simultaneous ISPs.

What's your specific problem?

RL

Reply to
legg

They are trying to push you to Teams. <argh> lol

Reply to
Simon S Aysdie

I guess Skybuck is trolling as Larkin now.

Reply to
Rick C

I used Eudora until a few years ago when my service provider insisted on using an encryption standard that Eudora didn't support. I now use Thunderbird (on Linux Mint Mate). However, when my wife wanted to upgrade computers I discovered that there has been a recent patch for Eudora which supports more recent encryption, so she is still using it.

John

Reply to
John Walliker

Long ago Eudora pissed me off because it *grossly* mishandled attachments. It stripped them out and kept them in a separate directory with the attachment's name.

Yes, if two email messages has attachments "untitled.doc", only one was retained!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I don't know about particular encryption standards, but there is a plug in for Eudora that supports SSL/TLS, known as Hermes more recently. That does the trick for most people. I expect this is the issue you encountered. Seems Eudora lost support at about the time SSL/TLS became important and work on it was discontinued.

There was an effort to update the entire program, but it has stalled without producing more results than this SSL/TLS update. The person even collected some amount of money through the project support web sites (not all that much really). I was hopeful a few bugs would be fixed, but I think it was just too large a project for so few people. I haven't heard about any progress for a year or two, maybe more.

Reply to
Rick C

My experience is that the second attachment is renamed with a '1' appended or "_1" or the like. I have some files with very high numbers, but it changes the number in the email to match.

There are many issues with Eudora, mostly small and often related to the use of Internet Explorer for HTML rendering. That was one of the first things Hermes was to fix.

Reply to
Rick C

Outlook does not conform to the Sarbanes–Oxley Act of 2002. The SEC does not care that the reporting and trace-ability requirements are not enforced in Outlook. That fact is easily demonstrated (I did, to the SEC). Furthermore, Microsoft could care less; they paid the SEC off.

Stuff that in your smoke and pipe it.

Reply to
Robert Baer

My experience with Eudora demonstrated two valuable things:

1) Eudora was broken in obvious ways, so the chances were that it would be broken in subtle ways.

2) Don't get tied to a proprietary format. Many email clients can use the mbox format. Even if seamonkey/thunderbird disappear, I can still reclaim my emails.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I moved my mother's machine from Outlook to Mozilla's Thunderbird, when her machine got updated to W7 by her Techie. I'm only there once or twice a year, fixing things and backing them up.

With the pandemic, I missed three trips and her Thunderbird stopped sending (or was it receiving?)mail last June. There were a couple of suggestions to fix this, involving compacting (empty) folders.There were also restore points and a full back-up.

Instead of fixing it, her Techie updated her machine again, this time to W10 (trashing most of the 3rd party SW and licenses) and left her using her ISP's Webmail ( a version of 'Zimba' ?).

I made the trip this fall, in the slow traffic season, when everyone had their shots and the going was good.

Got the Mozilla parts working again (Seamonkey plus a stand-alone Thunderbird) after ripping out Edge, Cortana and replacing most of the desktop graphics with a legacy-like start menu and desktop with background. Retrieving files from the Zimba(?) interface wasn't simple.

For the W10 desktop, had to rustle up links to most of the familiar windows functions, so that they could be included in a structured start menu, with sub-foldered categories. W10 wouldn't even recognize licensed CDs of Word or Excel. Reinstalled the ripped-out Open Office.

Funny thing - after using Powershell to uninstall 'Edge', the W10 search function could no longer find the Powershell utility, using its search function. Had to create my own link in the revised start menue, to use it again for Cortana and other crap.

Restore points made for each major change and a full back up. I've been rather insistent that she get a new techie, because most of this stuff is getting beyond me and that moron only seems to know how to re-install the OS.

RL RL

Reply to
legg

This should be good!

Please tell us about your presentation to the SEC.

Reply to
Cydrome Leader

Show me a program that is not broken... That's one reason for software maintenance. Even so, the premise is a fallacy. Your experience shows that Eudora is not obsolete. Just ask your wife.

What's the proprietary format? Any text file can be converted fairly easily. The more popular a program has been the more converters there are for it. No one with half a brain ever had any trouble converting email files from Eudora.

The really good news is Eudora clearly has legs, so no need to worry you will be surprised with a failure you can't recover from.

Reply to
Rick C

Sorry, I thought you were saying Eudora has a proprietary format, but it uses MBX as well.

Reply to
Rick C

Simple. Take any corporate document sent or received via Outlook and try to trace its path.

Worse, if document was "deleted" somewhere in that path. Regs state the document should still exist; regs imply that the fact of deletion is discoverable along with location and time at minimum.

Reply to
Robert Baer