Win7 Heads-up

What's a ".bash_profile" ?:-] ...Jim Thompson

[snip]

That's all that was needed, add to environment variables....

CDS_LIC_FILE C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_15.7i\tools\license.dat

That's a relief, the XP machine was brought on-line March 2006, and has been recently producing "gargling" noises :-(

I'll type up a "cheat sheet" and place it in the DVD case so I don't forget.

THANKS, Lasse! ...Jim Thompson

It's like autoexec.bat. ;)

There are various scripts that run at boot time, others that run when you log in for the first time in a session, and still others every time you open a console window. Different distros have different conventions, but mine are:

machine boot: /etc/profile and stuff in the /etc/profile.d directory

Login: ~pcdh/.bash_profile

Opening a console: ~pcdh/.bashrc

The login script .bash_profile calls .bashrc, which calls .bash_aliases (glorified keyboard shortcuts, e.g.

alias fx='setsid firefox >/dev/null 2>&1'

which runs Firefox from a console window without blocking the window process while it runs or cluttering up the screen with error and status messages. (In the bash shell, which is standard with Linux, you can go ctl-f to pause the process, then 'bg' to let it run in the background, and even 'disown %1' where %1 is the job number to make it independent.

I've been a command-line guy since DOS 1.0 on 160k SSSD flopppies. (No, not SSD.) ;)

DOS, VM/CMS, VAX VMS, OS/2, Windows, Cygwin, and Linux so far. Not having a command line on my first and only Macintosh was disorienting, like when your mouse breaks.

A friend of mine who briefly worked at IBM Almaden Research before going back to SLAC actually managed to get IBM to buy him a MicroVAX for his office. Tektronix was selling them in some big ATE system that, so John got them to assign just the computer a Tektronix Tektronix part number and sell him one.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Under Windows 8 MS finally threw in the towel and in spite of telling programmers not to do that for a decade, they just move all data accesses to a different directory allowing the poorly designed programs to work with their INI files.

lol

--

Rick
Reply to

I wonder if there is a way to run Eudora under Linux? Anyone know if Eudora works under WINE?

--

Rick
Reply to

Most of the Windows NT development was done on a VAX.

Good book, "Showstopper", has the story.

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 11:13:02 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

It is a Linux thing. You are still Windows Muddler, and not even a very good one at that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 15:55:16 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Your *special* one-button Mac mouse? Was it double priced like all the other Applecrap?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 3 Sep 2015 16:19:50 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Why wouldn't it?

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 13:50:02 -0700, John Larkin Gave us:

snip

Or even an Alpha.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Thanks for mentioning that. I have this old graphics program I like for a couple of reasons plus the fact that it runs like lightning on newer machines. I got it the same way, just copied the EXE and DLLs in a folder and stuck them under Program Files.

Every time I started the program it would say "Failed to update system registry" and then it ran. After reading that I decided to try it and it worked. No more nag.

I also have it and a few other things I manually put into the sendto menu so I can force a picture into that program instead of changing the file association. I also have Irfanview and VLC in there.

However, I haven't been able to do it in Win 7 because you have to make it show hidden/system files to put shortcuts onto the sendto menu.

Just another new "advancement" that lets you do less than before.

Another thing you might want to look into is "god mode".

Reply to
jurb6006

I have PSpice up and running, after lots of pain and agony :-]

Where, in this mess, do you define what each file type extension is? ...Jim Thompson

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Default Programs -> Set Associations

Or you can do it as you go, when the dialog pops up and says it's not associated. Just click on the carret on the right side to expand the program list. And check the box atthe bottom to make the change stick.

Martin Riddle

Den fredag den 4. september 2015 kl. 00.50.34 UTC+2 skrev Martin Riddle:

or right click, open with, choose default program

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Me thinks that if you ran the setup in compatibility mode, it would have worked properly. Even check off Run as Administrator so it has permission to change and add what it needs. My Eagle 4.? setup barfed in WIN7, but worked like champ in when run in XP compatibilty mode.

Martin Riddle

[snip]

Can't seem to change "Description". ...Jim Thompson

Try:

Note that Windows' associations are structured funny. There are classes (which may be editable with a separate utility, not sure), which I think map a given program (icon, description, run-as link..) to the assigned file extensions (assignable in this program). Others (usually assigned by Set Associations) don't have a class, and can be edited manually as makes sense, and can be overridden by a class (if one gets installed at a later date; that's how Windows keeps track of previous formats when uninstalling, AFAIK).

In my case, I've got about a hundred "PaintShop Pro File"s, so .JPG, .GIF, .PNG etc. all look the same, because PSP7 registers a class. I've given up on that one...

If you truly want to master Windows, I don't think there are quite enough "handy" tools to do everything you'll ever want; you're better off reading about the Registry and editing it yourself (taking some precautions, of course). PITA, yes.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs
Electrical Engineering Consultation

That changes the Description to ??? File, where ??? is the extension. Like Tim says, use a utility to change the Class description.

Martin Riddle

Aha! I was wondering if PSP would run on Win7. It's an ancient program, but I know how to run it.

Looks useful ...Jim Thompson

Don't get me started. I posted the whole Apple story way back in '08, in a thread entitled "Which Oscilloscope?"

Cheers

Phil Hobbs