Amps and Heads ...

A few weeks ago, I was looking for a schematic for a PA amp, and called it a "head" on here. I got told that it wasn't a head, because it had a preamp in it, and a head has only line level inputs.

Today, I was looking on the site where I get all my Marshall info -

- for schematics for a 2195, which is a guitar amplifier with a preamp in it. Interestingly, that site calls this amplifier - and indeed anything that is not a "combo" - a head ...

So now I won't feel so wrong continuing to call these amps heads, as the muso who owns the shop where I get most of this work from does too, and has for as many long years as I have known him.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

Okay...to pop in with the Colonial perspective: a PA 'head' I would imagine as box, shaped like a guitar amp 'head', with several input channels and a power amp...usually low-end stuff. Preamps would be required for this, of course. Anything without would just be an 'amp' (no 'head', at least IME).

I'd call any guitar amp, that didn't include speakers, a head. Any with speakers would properly be termed a combo, as you said.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Yes Jak, that had always been my understanding too, until I got picked up on it ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

in

that

has

I would have thought it was quite simple. If speaker cabs were placed on top of amps then the amp would be called a foot. They are placed on top so they are called a head.

N_Cook

I have never heard that definition of "head" before. Your understanding of the term has been unwaveringly mine for as long as I can remember. A head is a stand alone box with knobs on, doesn't matter whats inside.

That does remind me of a funny phone call I once had from a customer enquiring about his repair. I was living in Glasgow, and this guy had a very strong Scottish Accent. He asked whether "Ma'ampheed" was ready. I had no idea what a Ma'ampheed was so asked him to repeat it. Again, Ma'ampheed. I asked him to repeat it again. After the third time it was just getting embarrasing, I had no idea what he was talking about and had to tell him so. Eventually he had to spell it out in his best English accent, which was of course "My amp head".

Gareth.

Reply to
Gareth Magennis

Been working on amp "heads" for 30 years. I've never nor have any of my associates been picky enough to discriminate them as you've described.

Reply to
Meat Plow

I reckon someone got confuzzled betwixt 'head' and 'slave'

Ron

Reply to
Ron

That's a term I've not heard in this context for years. Yeah, there used to be these PA heads, for which you could also purchase identical boxes that were termed 'slaves'. They had only contained a power amp.

I'd forgotten about them; but the original complainer apparently didn't, but got the terminology backwards. Seems I recall these also described as 'slave heads', which would also negate the original complaint, though.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

'Invented' as I understand it by Charlie Watkins back in the swinging

60`s Tho it was quite commom for the preamp and power amp sections of commercial 'cinema' amps to be separate way way back

I expect the most common, certainly in the UK would be the H-H MA100 and SA100 from the early 70`s

Ron

Reply to
Ron

A head sits on top speaker cab. It can have anything in it. It does not matter.

greg

Reply to
GregS

I had in mind various offerings from Sunn, Kustom and Peavey; but those were the US offerings.

jak

Reply to
jakdedert

Thanks all. I feel totally vindicated in my original post, now ... d;~}

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

I think you may have got a little mixed up as this was the correction you received from Graham at the time: "It's not a 'head', it's a 19" rack mounting pro power amp with line level inputs." Nowhere in that does it say that a 'head' has only line level inputs, rather it suggests the opposite.

Anyway, as I've always understood it, a head is an amplifier (guitar, bass, whatever) that typically would sit on top of a speaker stack. If someone was to mention a PA head I would think of something like my old HH MA100 with 5 channels, high and lo-z inputs and all on 1/4inch jacks. Maybe it's a pro-audio vs muso terminology thing but I would never call a rack mounted power amp a 'head'.

BTW are you still after that C-Audio RA series schematic? I have a PDF I can send you.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

Yep, I have one MA100 on VERY long term loan from a friend and another that I found abandoned in a very poor state. I had started restoring it but haven't had the time for a good while to look at it.

--
Tim Phipps

replace "invalid" with "uk" to reply by email
Reply to
Tim Phipps

No, a head has instrument level inputs.

A PA amp has line level inputs if professional, or could be anything down to mic level if a mixer/amp.

Basically a 'head' usually lives on top of a speaker stack, often behind a guitarist.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yeah. Sorry. I think I got my knickers in a twist here. I finished up misunderstanding not only what you said, but what I was saying myself. Yet more examples of senior moments. Oh how I hate getting old ...

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily