Restart on Win7

How do I do a restart (not hard reset) on win7 without using the restart button? I want to do it from (say) the control panel or explorer The system I am working on is headless and has no conventional display

--
Dirk

The New Futurism : ZERO STATE : http://zerostate.net
Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

from a command prompt or type 'run' to bring up the run dialog: shutdown -r -t 10

(shutdown and restart in 10 seconds)

Martin Riddle

Does Windoze still allow you to invoke INT 19 ??

JeffM

Buy a keyboard that has an ON switch, and poll the output, and then reproduce that output within a script. Pass that script to the system from your remote access.

Pretty sure there are shutdown commands as well that will do it. Just looked. There is a "shutdown" command, and invoking it brings up the syntax page. /r is for restart.

Invoking it might be the hard part. Invoking it as administrator without an "are you sure prompt" may also be difficult, but I do not know.

Reply to
Hellequin

In Windows (DOS too), one uses the backslash not the dash for switches.

Reply to
Hellequin

I am pretty sure it is captured in the modern, fully arbitrated interrupt schema modern mobos have. I think some BIOSes even have setting to have it active or not.

Reply to
Hellequin

In Windows (DOS too), one uses the forward slash not the backslash for switches.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

Will this do what you want?

CNTL-ALT-DEL, tab, tab, tab, tab, enter, down key, enter.

(Explanation) CTRL-ALT-TAB brings up the choice screen for logging off, changing user, task manager, etc

Tab x 3 takes you to the red icon which is the "Off" button. Tabbing once more takes you to the "up arrow" icon next to it. Pressing Enter takes you to the choices available. The top one is "Restart" (pressing the down key takes you to it immediately - you can get there by pressing the up key 4 times, but it's easier to press the down key once). Then Enter restarts the computer.

--

Jeff
Reply to

Exccept that the abbreviation for the Control button is Ctrl, not cntl.

Reply to
Hellequin

No. I hur;led insults at you because you have been on the Larkin retard bandwagon in the past, and you do converse with them along those lines. So you are simply getting it back in your face.

If you want pro, respectful treatment, stop having conversations with the idiots who spend time abusing me. That is the only way to get off 'the lits'

Reply to
Hellequin

Yes, idiot. They have. They have scheduled releases. WHEN THERE ARE RELEASES TO RELEASE, IDIOT!

You guys seem to think that no matter what, there will be a release each month. That is about as retarded a mindset as it gets.

Reply to
Hellequin

He cannot see. He is all mouth. And most of what comes out of it is not the same as what comes out of yours and mine.

I would place ZERO credence on ANY assessment he makes. If he were not going senile, he might actually continue to assist folks in the vein of electronics.

Since he has been senile for years, he has never done that here (assist folks).

Reply to
Hellequin

Grow the f*ck up, you retarded troll f*****ad.

Reply to
Hellequin

After you, jack snipped-for-privacy@cox.net

Reply to
John S

Always Wrong seems to have also missed the point that the OS doesn't matter. Each program parses its command line as it wants. The particular program in question, shutdown.exe, uses hyphens in its own help reference output, although it accepts both hyphens and forward slashes.

zero, and remove the last word.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tom Del Rosso

You're an idiot, because the "programs" in question are Microsoft CLI driven utilities, you stupid twit. So the OS decidedly DOES matter.

It also used to be that it had to be one way NOT the other.

So, again, f*ck you, you know nothing twit.

Reply to
Hellequin