OK all you phisix heads...

A question:

Have fun!

Reply to
DaveC

The answer is obvious.

Reply to
John S

It's kinda a standard question in physics classes. When the kids were younger (and into helium balloons) I remember doing the experiment in the minivan.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Good for you George. There is nothing like watching what actually happens.

Reply to
John S

When my elder daughter turned 30 about 6 months ago, I got 30 helium balloons and did the experiment on a massive scale. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

By the way, the answer is one I solved for myself using a thought experiment years ago. I was prompted by the thought because I noticed a very slight movement in the air of the enclosed car when I turned corners and such. In bed at night with time to think, I began to work out all sorts of things based on density of the air. After a few days of thinking, it suddenly became obvious. Science is extremely fun.

Reply to
John S

You used a Greyhound bus? A 747? Wot?

Reply to
John S

A Nissan XTerra.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
ElectroOptical Innovations LLC

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

It's great fun in a VW bus, borrowed from Jim Dunkley ;-) ...Jim Thompson

           The touchstone of liberalism is intolerance

Oooo! So, something not of this world! Yow!

Reply to
John S

On Fri, 8 Apr 2016 13:22:50 -0400, Phil Hobbs Gave us:

Don't you mean "an equal mass to that of the air in the van scale"?*

Was there any motion in your potion?

  • for all intents and purposes in this case.
Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

You might have a lot more fun with science if you did not limit your thinking to kidnappings and such.

Reply to
John S

Not if you've only had experience with the balloons you've filled up from your own lungs.

In my mind, I didn't even see 'tied' as including a 3ft long string.

When I tie a balloon to the floor in my head, it looks like a kidnapping gone bad.

RL

Reply to
legg

Einstein said that acceleration is indistinguishable from gravity. The balloon always wants to go "up".

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

That was sort of a visual joke, son. Don't like to see these things get too serious.

The balloon, filled with any kind of media, doesn't need to be tied down to demonstrate the principal. If you wanted to photograph it in relation to the driver's actions and the front traffic view, with a single camera, then three or more feet of cord might come in handy.

You think Google is hiring physicists, or just people who have heard that one before....?

Are they the guys who keep making GUI's that include brightly coloured pop-up windows, or who specified that the supreme figure of merit of a

2KW PV inverter design was it's physical size? (See Little Box Challenge)

Who ever they're hiring, it's not working for me.....and neither are they.

RL

Reply to
legg

Destin did it:

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

On Sat, 9 Apr 2016 08:30:28 -0500, "Tim Williams" Gave us:

Great stuff. I like the last bit where his pop started in reverse. Heheheh!

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

And your point is ... ?

Reply to