Win7 Heads-up

Mark Chun pointed out to me that many legacy programs (INI only controlled) can be made to run nicely in Win7 by simply copying them from XP into an Apps (non-program) folder on your Win7 machine.

Edit the INI file to correct any path changes.

Make an icon for the executable.

Right click on the icon and "Run as administrator" to register the program.

I just did my venerable Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 and it works a peach ;-)

(I also copied over my XP Solitaire, Win7's visuals suck big-time >:-} ...Jim Thompson

On Wed, 02 Sep 2015 12:34:57 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

The fact that you still waste personal time playing this piss poor game is a huge indicator that you don't get much done in life.

Hell, Nethack is a far better diversion.

As card games go, I find it far more entertaining to play Euchre online with folks from around the world.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If you have a setup.exe on a cd or dvd, you can right click and select properties and run it in compatibility mode!

If you have multiple windows open on the desktop and want to minimize them except for one, grab one window by the top and shake it left and right ;)

You can also snap windows to half the screen, just drag the top of the window to either left or right screen edges.

Martin Riddle

My Win 7 machine from Dell came prepared with an (x86) directory to install legacy programs. Some still wouldn't run right. There is a "compatibility" mode setting. When right-clicking the executable and setting that to XP Service Pack 2 (IMHO the last known good OS from MS) many run ok. But not all :-(

So I am keeping some XP machines, hoping they'll last until retirement.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Those that misbehave are those INI-driven, and write changes to the INI file... thus CAN NOT be in Program Files.

My Eudora Pro is MANY years ancient.

But, so far, I can't get PSpice to locate its license file, so I'll be nursing an XP machine as well :-( ...Jim Thompson

Is Pspice that Cadance version? FlexLM manager? Or just a license file created during install?

Martin Riddle

At least image the drives. Here's how to use Virtualbox to run a drive image:

Les Cargill
Reply to
Les Cargill

I am using Eudora under Win 8 and it fixes some of the display issues I had with earlier versions of windows. But with the HD resolution screen all the fonts are very small and hard to read. I think Eudora is getting a bit long in the tooth. I just can't find anything I like as well.

Funny that an old program with no updates is one of the best behaved programs on my computer.

--

Rick
Reply to

On Wed, 2 Sep 2015 23:46:41 -0400, rickman Gave us:

Right .click on the executable, and under properties in the compatibility tab you can find a selection box to NOT use DPI scaling.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

That's because it's a classic. An architect once pointed out to me a cluster of tidy but uninteresting buildings that hadn't changed, not even the landscaping, in a forty years. I figure the architect did a good job of giving that customer what he needed.

Reply to
whit3rd

It is about the permissions for the directory they reside in. The programs need to alter the INI file which is no longer permitted in a directory that is supposed to be holding immutable executable code. (altering permissions on the main program directories is a bad idea)

Try the ones that won't run in a virtual machine and a real XP license key. IME Only things that require peeky pokey IO fail there for me.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I dunno how PSpice does this but I have several 8.3 DOS era programs that require to be placed in directory structures that they understand and exactly match the original layout they expect in terms of names.

The default C:\user\name\documents\program\project directory location is close to overflowing their fully qualified filename buffer length. (these are ancient but useful programs from the days of yore)

Works fine in C:\program\project

Legacy programs require some TLC to get running in Win7. If all else fails try a VM and the right version of the OS it is expecting to see.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

I'm not sure what's happening. On previous machines I find just a license file, but on the Win7 install it created a directory FLEXid AND a license file.

Install went smoothly, but when I attempt to run PSpice I get an error...

Error (LMC-01902): License called failed. The License server search path is defined as . Can't find license file.

[According to an old Cadence buddy, who otherwise, can't remember how to install PSpice, the registry should show...

Location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Cadence Design Systems\Interchange\15.7.0

Value:

C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_15.7i\tools\license.dat

and it is}

Run 'lic_error-01902' for more information..

[Whatever that means ???] ...Jim Thompson

Eudora works perfectly, it's so easy to use. ...Jim Thompson

Den torsdag den 3. september 2015 kl. 16.29.49 UTC+2 skrev Jim Thompson:

try making an environment variable LM_LICENSE_FILE

and set it to C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_15.7i\tools\license.dat

-Lasse

Reply to
Lasse Langwadt Christensen

Good idea, Lasse! (I don't think I've set an environment variable since DOS days ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I think you nailed it Lasse!

Once I have enough coffee I'll set the environment.

Checking old XP machine, various variables for OrCAD are set, new Win7 machine, nada.

Then it dawned... OrCAD installs outside of Program files, thus no privileges in Win 7 (Thanks M$ >:-}

So I'm guessing I just need to add those in, for instance

CDS_LIC_FILE C:\OrCAD\OrCAD_15.7i\tools\license.dat

Thanks for the tweak! I haven't done a custom installation in years, and have to be reminded of the fundamentals.

Ah, for the days of Autoexec.bat ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I installed Win7 on a second partition, so I still have everything XP available and useable (and bootable!). Curiously, Win7 honors XP's ACLs (access control lists -- security settings), which I guess has always been there but because you almost always run an administrator user, it knows never to bother you about it. Whereas in Win7, the UAC prompts are nonstop.

Since I've got E:\Program Files, I just set write permissions for the Win7 user, and all is well. (The XP user is still there, showing up as some registry reference number I guess, but it doesn't know that that's still me.)

I don't know if I would recommend this for Win7's Program Files (x86 and not), if it allows you to make such a change in the first place; but it helps for this configuration at least.

Still haven't figured out why prBoom ( >:) ) wants UAC, maybe I didn't set the permissions correctly. You'll find ICACLS is invaluable.)

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Win7 Heads-up

Mark Chun pointed out to me that many legacy programs (INI only controlled) can be made to run nicely in Win7 by simply copying them from XP into an Apps (non-program) folder on your Win7 machine.

Edit the INI file to correct any path changes.

Make an icon for the executable.

Right click on the icon and "Run as administrator" to register the program.

I just did my venerable Eudora Pro v7.1.0.9 and it works a peach ;-)

(I also copied over my XP Solitaire, Win7's visuals suck big-time >:-}

...Jim Thompson

Tim Williams

On Thu, 03 Sep 2015 08:31:14 -0700, Jim Thompson Gave us:

Shame it wasn't auto-executestupiduserwithabat.bat

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Why? Don't you use a .bash_profile? Same idea.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs