Who makes this simple wire-wrap stripper?

I have an exceedingly simple stripper for wire-wrap wire.

6mm wide and a few mm thick. One end has a cut-out step in which a bit of blued steel 'blade' with a narrow slot. You just force the wire through the slot, and pull the end of the insulation off.

Each tool only works on one wire size.

I have one of these, but it gets borrowed frequently from my techs. They work really well for repairs/alterations in tight quarters.

Any idea who might make/distribute this tool?

TIA!

-frank

Reply to
Frank Miles

Some forms of insulation on that type of wire can be simply "pinched" with needle-nose pliers and folded back.

...Jim Thompson

     It\'s what you learn, after you know it all, that counts.

I think you're after strippers made by OK Industries? DigiKey and plenty of other places sell them... see, e.g.,

and

Joel Kolstad

I have one of those, one size only though, it came with:

Model: 276-1570 Catalog #: 276-1570

Doesn't show in the picture, but it was stored in the 'hollow' handle.

Chafik

Reply to
Chafik Hankour

"Frank Miles" schreef in bericht news:dsilbr$au3$ snipped-for-privacy@gnus01.u.washington.edu...

From your description I guess you mean the Clauss no-nik wire stripper. These strippers were used for teflon insulated wires (wire wrap). I still have one in my possession These days they seem to be used to strap glass fibers.

petrus bitbyter

Reply to
petrus bitbyter

Have used the same for over 25 years. They still strip. These hold the wire straight out so the cut is even. I think the other stripper is just a blade with ta slot. I even have them for 24 gauge wire wrap. I think Teflon was kinda bad because it had soft flow.

greg

Reply to
GregS

Thanks, that's the closest so far. It's still large, with the slitted element in the middle of the tool instead of the end, but perhaps it could be remounted on something.

-f

Reply to
Frank Miles

I took a WSU-30 and filed off the little aluminum rivet (the barrel is anodized aluminum) to free up the blade, and then clamped it in an X-acto handle.

Have Fun! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I concur with Chafik. I have this same RatShack wrapping tool, and the widget you describe comes with it and stores in the handle. Description is identical. Still works great after 20 years of casual use. In fact, that's mostly why I keep the wire-wrapping tool - to store the stripper in something large enough it won't get lost. :-)

They may have offered the stripper separately at one time, but no longer.

Richard

Reply to
Richard H.