Who makes small swinging chokes?

because

higher-valued

chain.)

The main problem of original Beetle for Northern winter use was its distribution of mass. With the engine at back and nothing heavy elsewhere it was like throwing a hammer with the handle first. The tail end wants always to go first.

In the 1960's, I had a Beetle in Finnish winter.

--

Tauno Voipio
Reply to

Thompson's Rule: No problems ever occur when you have all your tools "at the ready". ...Jim Thompson

because

higher-valued

chain.)

You are so right about that. Even when you could get them warmed up by going uphill, they got ice cold on the way down. Brrrrrr.

Reply to
John S

My well used jumper cables disprove that rule.

Michael A. Terrell

because

higher-valued

your chain.)

get

there.

The only thing even close to heat, when I was driving my brother's, was on the back window (over the engine). It seemed to thaw. Sometimes. When we drove, one hand was on the wheel and one on the stick, with an ice scraper laced between the fingers. Between shifts, one scraped ice. ...off the *inside* of the window.

I also remember the battery freezing, so we'd have to take it in every night. I fixed that for him, though. Someone rear-ended me on I94 and totaled the bug. My brother got about twice what he paid for it a couple of months before, so he wasn't upset at all. ;-)

Reply to
krw

IIRC, you could fit a gasoline fueled heater for cold climates.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

A client once picked me up at Minneapolis Airport with a Beetle. The outside temperature was -19°F. I thought I was going to die ;-) ...Jim Thompson

because

higher-valued

your chain.)

front

get

there.

At my grandparent's house that's how we slept. The whole upstairs had no heating devices, no stoves, nada. So in the winter you'd see a thick sheet of ice growing on the inside of the windows. This is why people wore knitted hats at night, else your ears could probably freeze off.

In the mornings one had to brave the cold and walk downstairs to stoke up the coal stove, climb back up and into bed, and hope the dang thing won't explode :-)

My Citroen 2CV was worse WRT heating. It had a large canvas roof which has the R-value of a Kleenex sheet. The engine had only 16 horsies and no real heat exchangers like the bugs did. The air was just sort of channeled along the cylinder head fins and guided inside. Some of it actually arrived inside. Luckily you could drive it with army boots. The battery was a non-issue for me, I simply drove without one for years because as a student a rare 6V battery was totally out of budget. This was good training for the biceps muscles. Get crank out of the trunk, stick it in, and have at it. Phutah .. phutah .. poof .. phutah ...

*BANG* ... vroooom. Accompanied by some black soot and rust crumbs flying out the exhaust, with gusto.
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

On a sunny day (Tue, 25 Oct 2011 13:46:59 -0700) it happened Joerg wrote in :

I have driven a 2CV "lelijke eend", the flap window would open by itself, had to keep it closed with one hand, against the cold. Was not my car, it was badly maintained.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

That's the automatic cabin pressure relief system :-)

BT, because mijn eend made it to the ripe old age of 16 when TUEV parted us due to excessive corrosion. The cause was usually a rusted lower lip on the little thingamagic that hold it closed. A good karate-style whamming onto that handle would fix that. Well, at least for the next week or so.

Oh, you haven't seen mine ...