Who makes small swinging chokes?

It often does but that might change when the mfg switch ferrite vendors.

Actually, I've had cases whera a custom run in Asia (they didn't have the value I needed) was cheaper than the catalog part here. At quantities well below five digits which really surprised me. But they won't do a swinging inductor, it has to be on their standard cores and machines.

Ideally I'd like a super-wide ratio. Something like 50:1. The more the better.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

[...]

Partial sawing would immediately raise the hackles with the engineers at the inductor mfg :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ice

ce is

uld

, you

. ;)

Well, (blush), it depends which way you swing, doesn't it?

)

Successfully pulled. BTW, who ever knew Joerg was such a swinger?

-- Cheers, James Arthur

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

Well, you need the matching car:

Note: No center console, one can easily scoot across the whole front bench :-)

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

in.)

Yeah baby!

dagmargoodboat

I had a 1950 Nash... don't remember the model name ("Ambassador" maybe), but it was the full-sized bath-tub shaped body. Front seats folded flat toward the back, making into a bed... perfect teenager's car ;-) ...Jim Thompson

In the '70s, a friend bought his daughter a Mustang-II. He said *that* was a perfect teenager's car. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Must have been a Statesman, Airflyte or Rambler, AFAIR the other large ones didn't look much like bath tubs. The Nash Metropolitan was the small bath tub.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

nice

ance is

)

hould

ly, you

e,

rk. ;)

ing

in.)

Oouu, that looks like the Dodge Scamp that granma had back in the '70's. It had such a fast idle when started that I don't think she ever used more than one peddle, the brake. But as a teenager I 'lit up' the rear wheels a few times. :^)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

nice

nce is

ould

y, you

,

k. ;)

ng

When you specify the data for the custom part, just include the needed parameters for non-saturated currents and for saturated currents, that fits your bill. If the go outside this tolerance band, the part is discarded. That forces the supplier to deliver the same parts that you did the initial testing on

Regards

Klaus

Reply to
Klaus Kragelund

is

Subcircuit for Saturating Inductor...

****************************************************************** **** Saturating Inductor v2, JET, 08/01/2011 (While in NY) ***** .SUBCKT LSATv2 TOP BOT PARAMS: LMAX=305uH LMIN=60uH I1TH=7.75mA
  • I2TH=8.25mA L_L1 N_2 N_3 {LMAX-LMIN} V_VM N_4 BOT 0V L_L2 N_3 N_4 {LMIN} E_E1 N_2 TOP VALUE { V(N_2,
  • N_3)*(1+TANH(0.693147/(I2TH-I1TH)*(abs(I(V_VM))-(I1TH+I2TH)/2)))/2} .ENDS LSATv2

Should work with _any_ "Spice".

I1TH is current at which you are 1/3 of the way from unsaturated to saturated. I2TH, 2/3 of the way. (Defining both breakpoint _and_ slope.) ...Jim Thompson

is

Thanks, Jim. I have copied this post into my sim directory among the "secret sauce recipes" :-)

So far I have used simple tanh but your method looks more elaborate and versatile.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

ISTR a saying:

"If you can't afford a car, and you're too proud to get a Volkswagen, get a Rambler"

The Metropolitan was made in the UK, by Austin. Should have stayed there.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

chain.)

It looked like it was supposed to become one of those odd three-wheelers they had over there and then they decided to put on four wheels.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

chain.)

AIUI, it was designed to fill Nash's "perceived need" for a small car, drawing on Austin's experience in that field. Wrong on both counts.

Meanwhile, VW were selling millions, worldwide.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

chain.)

They were almost indestructable, with the engine only revving 70% of what the Nash and similar cars did at highways speeds. The downside was that the Beetle took forever to get to 60mph but in that market this wasn't important.

US companies had plenty of designs to draw from if there was a market for small cars but back then there simply wasn't in the US. All they had to do was to open a design cabinet drawer at their overseas subsidiaries. We had the P4 model of this one, for example:

Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

chain.)

The other downside was Winter. My brother had a Beetle in Minneapolis.

Reply to
krw

because

chain.)

At least Minnesota is mostly flat. The real downside is winter plus hilly terrain. A guy came down one of those circular loops in Aachen Germany and I was waiting at a red traffic light. Thick snow cover everywhere. The "trajectory" of his VW Beetle didn't look kosher. I saw nobody was behind me so I slowly back up. He skidded through where my car was a few seconds ago at a pretty good clip ... swoooosh ... THWOK ... ended up in a big snowbank. I never saw a driver thank me so much as this guy while his face was still pale :-)

One lesson I learned in the army is that when it's a harsh winter, carry a shovel in the trunk.

[...]
--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Reply to
Joerg

Or anywhere near one of those "Occupy #@$%^&" groups.

Michael A. Terrell

because

higher-valued

chain.)

The problem wasn't driving in winter. Beetles went through snow pretty well, mostly because all the weight was on the drive wheels. The problem was

*heat*, or more precisely the total lack of it. One got *cold* driving those things when it was -34F.

...and a rated sleeping bag.

Reply to
krw