QAM tuner ic: who makes one?

Hi all,

I was looking at Broadcom's parts for (cable) tuner/receivers. I tried to find other mfrs that make similar products. I found Infineon makes some stuff for tuners but not the QAM kind for cable. Who else makes QAM tuner chips? Maybe even simpler than Broadcom since they have all the goodies to get pay per view events and the on-line tv guide on the same die.

Thanks

Reply to
Rodo

Philips/NXP announced the TDA18271HD. "The TDA18271HD is a Silicon Tuner IC designed mainly for terrestrial analog and digital TV reception. The TDA18271HD integrates the overall tuning function, including selectivity. The TDA18271HD is compatible with all analog and digital TV standards and delivers a low IF signal to a demodulator (for analog TV) and/or channel decoder (for digital TV)."

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Hi, I am not able to give you the right part number.Search for Tuner ICs in ST,Connexant.I believe Connexant is cheapest of them all.You will also get ASICs for STB,DVD player applications.

We are using ST,Connexant in our products and quite happy with the performance.

Regards, s.subbarayan

Reply to
ssubbarayan

NXP (Philips) makes tuner and decoder IC's. A Tuner would be the TDA8274, specificly for Digital receivers. Another is the TDA8275, but this is for Analog reception.

The Decoder is the TDA10021, if I remember correctly, which can output the MPEG TS stream either serially, or 8 bit parallel. It has extented decoding/filtering/error correction(FEC) features etc.

The TDA chips are controlled bi I2C protocol, so you need a processor to do the initalisation and settings.

I think you also want the decoder, since you mention pey per view events and tv-guide.

You will also need something (processor) to decode the TS stream, and if you want pay per view it must support access control. Here your options I think become more limited, since this probably needs licensing from the vendor !

regards, Hans Bus

Reply to
Hans Bus

Hi Rodo,

NXP (Philips) has several tune IC's you could use, but I think the TDA8274 is the one you need, specifically designed for digital reception.

It produces an IF signal you will have to decode. I believe the decoder you need is the TDA10021. It depend which DVB type you need to decode (DVB-T,DVB-C, DVB-S ?).

The decoder takes care of decoding, error correction filtering ..... and can output the MPEG TS stream either 8 bit parallel or serially.

The chips are controlled via I2C protocol, also for tuning etc. You will need a processor to do anything useful with them. There are drivers for the chips in video for linux I think (or the TDA8275, for analog reception).

Another tuner could be the XCeive XC3028, Check XCeive site. this chip can be used for analog and digital reception.

But then you need something to proces the TS (you mention pay per view and on-line TV guide). This means some form of conditional access and descrambling. I think this could be a problem, since this is often dependant on licensing from the chip company. For Free to Air you shouldn't need conditional acces, but at least something that can decode/demux the channels from the MPEG TS.

hope this helps,

regards, Hans Bus

Reply to
Hans Bus