4H chokes?

Dear ng,

I found an old design here

for an arc lamp power supply that includes a pair of 4H chokes rated at

0.5A, 25R. As far as I can tell these would have to be gigantic, right? I understand that chokes available today (at least below $20) are in the range of ~10mH. Do I miss something?

Thanks, Mathias

Reply to
Mathias

You wouldn't want to carry one all day.

They would be made with laminated iron cores, not ferrite or powdered iron.

Here are some smaller examples. The weight goes up roughly in proportion to the stored energy, that is proportional to inductance, and proportional to the current squared. Pick one and scale it up.

John Popelish

They will weigh in the neighborhood of 2 - 5 pounds each. Good place to start looking would be

; also, Fair Radio, and RF Parts. $20 is probably about the right price for a used/surplus unit.

Tam

Reply to
Tam/WB2TT