Who is your favourite electronics guru?

Hey, isn't it about time to rediscover the square-wave divide-by-three circuit?

John

No, the top engineers *design* those circuits.

John

Output square-wave also or asymmetric OK ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

What's the point of being a circuit designer if you don't design circuits? Any tech can copy a circuit and fiddle with values.

John

Google is changing that. A good product design no longer needs the corporate critical mass and advertising/marketing backup that it used to rerquire to be successful. I know individual guys who do a nice business, selling to the open market, working alone out of a spare bedroom.

John

I disagree. Circuit designing is the same.

I don't know how many times I've looked at a circuit "designed" by someone and uttered, "What the hell" ?:-)

...Jim Thompson

But they won't be "prosaic" ;-)

...Jim Thompson

Yeah, it's not like software where you have to be smarter to figure out a bad program than to write it in the first place.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

'Ideas for Design" ranks up there with "Nasa Tech Briefs" Cheers, Harry

Reply to
Harry Dellamano

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

When you do that, it's usually a gyrator. (;-)

Whether intended or not!

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Wed, 9 Aug 2006, Jim Thompson writes

The really good ones will be poetic.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

What kind of products, John?

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

The only difference I can see is that a Law of Nature is a time and space invariant generalisation with no known exceptions. One such Law was once the 'Conservation of Mass', but no longer.

Dirk

Reply to
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Has anybody figured out how to get NASA to stop sending that stupid mag?

John

So, what's the magic in "design" that's different from just stringing components together to give you the right answer? :-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Here's one guy I know...

He was hoping to sell X amount last year, and sold 4X instead.

The AADE guy is interesting too, although I don't know him personally. We have three or four of his lc-meters around here.

In my company, we have dropped print ads and trade shows entirely. And it looks like the concept of a coherent product line is sort of falling apart, in the sense that we can design something oddball and sell it just as well as if it was part of a full product line, and we can get google hits in the first search page, right up there with tek and agilent. Try googling "electrical optical converter"

Since we somehow have that google rank, I'm going to have to design a full product line to capitalize on it!

John

And it's often easier to design something than to analyze it. Resistive dividers can be like that.

John

The rest will be pathetic.

John

...Jim Thompson

Hi John,

Thanks...

I have one too. I've spoken with him in person and he's actually a little crusty, but that certainly wouldn't stop me from buying more of his products.

I was surprised to learn that Roy Lewallen (hangs out mainly in the amateur radio newsgroups) makes a living selling his graphical front-end software to NEC (for antenna analysis --

); I wouldn't have guessed the volume was great enough when he's "only" making ~$100/order.

---Joel

Reply to
Joel Kolstad