Who is your favourite electronics guru?

No one ever mentions Gabriel Kron, too far up the scale to even be detected.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Any Tom, Dick and Harry can copy and build a circuit out of a book.

But it takes a top-class engineer just to look at a strange circuit and describe what it does, how it works.

These days, there are mostly Tom's, Dick's and Harry's! ====================================

Reply to
Reg Edwards

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Fred Bloggs writes

Formulated Kron's Law? Invented the Kronotron? Wrote 'The Kronology of Electronics'?

I'm not familiar with any of those.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Do they ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

"Prosaic"? Perhaps. But they ALWAYS work. I posted just a piece of one of my I/C chip designs one time and, IIRC, you couldn't even get a single finger's grip on what it did.

...Jim Thompson

But they aren't true in general, so they really can't be obvious.

Ohm's law, in particular, has some very deep physics underlying it. Kirchhoff's laws are not true for systems where displacement current is important, e.g. the insides of capacitors, or where the system dimensions are not negligibly small compared with a wavelength.

Kirchhoff's current law is a specific application of charge conservation, leaving out the possibility of charge accumulating (as on a capacitor plate). Kirchhoff's voltage law comes from Faraday's law, leaving out the dB/dt term.

Cheers,

Phil Hobbs

Reply to
Phil Hobbs
[snip]

And I refuse to do ASCII, so most of my posts are on my website (SED/Schematics page).

Fred, Please work your way down the list and see how many you can explain... in the next four hours, so you have minimal time to request help ;-)

...Jim Thompson

I really like his presentation of the Schrödinger Equation:

Gabriel Kron, Electric Circuit Model of the Schrödinger Equation

Be it right or wrong, to me it is easier to understand a theory when it is presented as a circuit.

--
Sven Wilhelmsson
http://home.swipnet.se/swi

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Phil Hobbs writes

Wasn't Kirchhoff first, in 1845? Maxwell published his stuff in 1855-56.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug

2006, Sven Wilhelmsson writes

I get a German 404 there.

-- OOO - Own Opinions Only. Try

and

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Likewise.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I tried unwrapping it, i.e.:

got the 404, and tried futzing with the page name:
which sent me to a page saying there are multiple documents with similar names, gave me another link, and then I got a German 403 Forbidden.

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Sorry about this, my editor breaks the line. Please try to glue these to lines together manually:

Sven Wilhelmsson
http://home.swipnet.se/swi
Reply to
Sven Wilhelmsson

Rich,

You almost got it:

^^^ Needs one more slash in there!

(Between the 2nd to last 1945 and the last Kron)

Reply to
Joel Kolstad

Tiny URL:

Joel Kolstad

But electronics design is a spiritual activity. Analysis is the scientific part.

John

Except for the minor detail that the universe seems to exist, and nobody has a clue why.

John

in no particular order:

Barrie Gilbert (strictly for the Ad633 and 543 multipliers)

John Woodgate

Fields

Thompson (we'd annhailate each other politically, but hey, I like the MC1648)

Hill

Hobbs

Goldwasser

Whoever invented the 555 and the 741

Jeorg

and I'm leaving out one or two.

negitives:

Jim Williams at Linear tech is out, his app note circuits almost always crash. News2020 Radium

----- Steve Roberts

Reply to
osr

Try the Simulation Argument.