Who is your favourite electronics guru?

We're not human beings having a spiritual experience, we're spiritual beings having a human experience. :-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Spirit sez: "I am Light, the Great Spirit, the Great Yang. I am the essential and universal masculine force of Creation. My energy is like electricity, like lightning, the energy of inspiration, ideas and thoughts. And as I evolve, more and more of me finds my truest nature... Loving Spirit.

"My deepest and most essential Light is subtle, soft and warm and gentle. While I am referred to as 'God', and worshiped as God... the truth is that I am only one part of God, one part of Deity, the whole gestalt responsible for causing and sustaining Creation."

"The other essential half of Deity is the Great Mother, the cosmic womb of creation. She is the one I love and to whom I owe my existence in manifestation. It is she who opens and holds the space that contains my Light, the magnetic field of being within whom my colors and hues take form.

"She is the Mother of Creation, the great feminine power of the universe. She is known as the Holy Mother, the Mother of Everything, the Great Yin. She is the Will of Creation. Her essence is magnetic, like the energy of gravity... it is drawing, holding, supporting and nurturing. The Mother's energy is both subtle and powerful... emotional, feeling and grounding. --

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Well, have you ever gotten any good at something you don't like doing? ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Rich the Philosophizer writes

How do you reconcile that with what you know?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Joel Kolstad writes

That can't be bad, then. I expect he uses 741s as well.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

Geez, all this nonsense... over a 555!

John

I might understand if it was 666

;)

Cheers

PeteS

Reply to
PeteS

... Colin Mitchell of Talking

That just means he's not very good at soothsaying. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

So, does it taste great, or is it less filling? ;-P

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I view it in seven dimensions or so. Once one opens oneself to understanding, it becomes quite obvious.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

I've been studying this stuff for going on 30 years now, and it all fits together quite nicely. I guess you could say that every experiment I've ever done along those lines corroroborates it.

Why not take a risk, and read the webpage?

Hope This Helps! Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

--
I thought we had but, according to Bill, there are still issues
pending which need to be resolved.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

about

oon

ts of

he

riod

ill

=2E..

No - though I do sometimes wonder if you know about Ebers and Moll.

But I've had no reason to suppose that you were aware of the significance of the diode drop and temperature coefficient of your magic diode - and you've yet to come up with an even semi-quantitative estimate of the extent to which the diode degrades the basic 555's performance as a monostable.

This is a straw man. Knowing about didoe drops and temperature coefficients doesn't mean that you know what they do to your circuit, and you've yet to provide a shred of evidence that you do appreciate this.

y?

This would be the pot calling the kettle black . This is one of your devices for giving me a hard time, and I'm happy to return the favour.

On the monostable period of a 555 as modified by your magic diode, for the time intervals when the diode is conducting.

It is certainly a nifty trick, but a simple one-transistor inverter would have done the same job without degrading the stability of the monostable period.

I think I can live with the damage.

Since you don't seem to know how big the side effects might be, claiming that they didn't matter in an application that we didn't know much about is distinctly disingenuous.

I agree that "affect" is less emotionally loaded than "screw up" but unfortunately it is excessively neutral. "Degrade" would have been a viable alternative, but is no less emotionally loaded.

But how is this "changing the direction of the discussion"? This unfounded allegation on your part seems to be a self-referring exercise. You are hoist with your own petard.

Sorry John - that didn't even qualify as a nice try.

Since we knew very little about the application, I don;t think yu are entitled to make that assumption.

I do prefer to provide a little bit more information.

The 741 sold well back then too. Sturgeons Law says that 90% of everything is rubbish, and it took a while before the good engineers could persuade the mediocre majoriity that you could get better op amps than the 741 and design circuits that didn't need the 555.

ur

Yes, John ...

ause you did, so I

oncerned

Like I said, we knew very little about the application. The real world applications that I've had to deal with don't generate 555-shaped (or

4047-shaped) holes.

I'd probably look for a smallish PLD offering high-impedance Schmitt-trigger inputs and use them to make a 20Hz oscillator, and use the rest of the PLD to make a divide-by-twenty counter (5 flip-flops)

The OP's pulse are then generated by detecting the 0 and 1 states of the counter.

If the Op wanted any kind of precision, I'd go for a 32768Hz watch crystal, which you can turn into an oscillator without benefit of Schmitt-trigger inputs, and use another 11 flip-flops to get that down to close to 20Hz (+244ppm.or -366ppm, which is worse than the +/-20ppm on the watch crystal, but probably acceptable in most applications).

I've done something similar with an ICT PA7024 to ramp up the current through the filament of a bizarre X-ray generator tube.

"Adding delay to the pulse" prateek 23 June 2006

I don't find them all that interesting, and you do.

I found that paper, but since I'd never heard of Clarostat - they weren't active in the UK - it didn't tell me anything useful.

You weren't the first to suggest Clarostat. If Claromexico in the original post didn't suggest Clarostat to you, how come finding the same word in an academic paper tirggered your memory. RV (resistor, variable) type pots aren't specific to Clarostat, so that wasn't the trigger.

The only man who didn't say "junk your inventory of 555's and let me redesign the circuit so that it *can* work right".

What's with this "revert" ? I seldom miiss a chance to get in a little Texas-bashing.

--=20 Bill Sloman, Nijmegen

Reply to
bill.sloman

Amd which was the greatest football team of all time?

John

In message , dated Wed, 16 Aug 2006, Rich the Philosophizer writes

I do; I rarely comment because I respect your attachment. But when a statement is made that gravity is magnetic, then I feel it would be wrong not ask a question.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Woodgate

--
The "revert" refers to your diversionary tactic of _going back_ to
insults when you have nothing left to fall back on.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Fields

Not the most generous of concessions ...

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to

The Green Bay Packers, of course. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

It's not that they're the same - primordial Magnetism is merely the attractive force of the Universe, the great Yin, the Female Principle, Desire itself.

But we're the seventh Creation, the level of Manifestation. It's really a very long story, with lots of twists and turns and reversals, and very hard to understand - it's taken God himself all of this long time to figure out just what went wrong with Creation to cause all of the pain and suffering, and it turns out that it's been Denial all along.

And with this "theory", you don't need relativity or quantum mechanics or string theory or any of that complicated arithmetic to understand what's real. :-)

There's another book that's really interesting, called "The Reflexive Universe", that claims to be about Quantum Cosmology or some such:

And then there's "Right Use of Will", which is actually a whole series of books:

Which might or might not be "for you" - only you can decide, because you have Free Will.

BTW, the reason God doesn't strike down the bad guys is because that would override someone's free will - only God's denials (Lucifer and Ahriman) will do that.

Well, there's a lot to the story; it's impossible to put it in a nutshell.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

It is about whether the 555 is still a useful chip.

In fact, I'm not so much rendering judgement as pointing out that I've not seen the need to use the 555 in thirty years of professional experience, and not seen anybody else in my vicinity using the part either. My experience of trying to get stable pusle widths out of it weren't pleasant, and the absence of complementay inputs and outputs make the part a pest to use, so I don't like the part. but as far as I can see, few people do.

Agreed.

You do have a lively imagination.

The 555 was a very handy chip, in its time. It wasn't any good for what I wanted to do in 1974, and the limitations imposed by the 8-pin package made it unattractive in many applications, but - as you have pointed out - it sold very well at the time, and the 8-pin package made it smaller and cheaper than the 14-pin package which would have been needed to accomodate complementary inputs and outputs.

If I'd had Camenzind's ear at the time, I would have kept my mouth shut

- I didn't know enough about that subject at the time to have any kind of useful opinion, and I knew it. I did know a quite a lot about unconventional high speed printers for portable facsimile machines, and the framing codes to keep the fax machines in sych, and I knew how hard I'd had to work to get to be well-informed there.

Of course, as the range of integrated circuit availalbe increased, and the level of integration, the 555 became progressively less useful, and had pretty much dissappeared from professional circuits by the 1980's, but there was a huge legacy market, so you could still buy them easily, and the kind of engineer who never learns a new trick kept on using them where they'd used them before.

Obviously not. Signeitcs would have gone bust even faster and might not even have survived long enough to get taken over by Philips.

--
Bill Sloman, Nijmegen
Reply to