Who is your favourite electronics guru?

Check out

...Jim Thompson

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug 2006, John Larkin writes

That sort of 'Why' is outside science. You might as well ask, 'Why is sodium?' or 'Why is a horse?'.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Because it's colder in Chicago than it is in winter.

Jim

Reply to
RST Engineering (jw)

Yep , here as well. (Netherlands, EU)

Reply to
Sjouke Burry

You say that as if "outside science" meant "worthless."

Mathematics is outside science. So is your argument that certain things are outside science.

Reply to
mc

I like to think of it sitting in a goldfish bowl on someone's coffee table actually.

Gaham

Reply to
Eeyore

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug

2006, mc writes

No.

Or is it the basis of science?

You are just making unwarranted assumptions and unsupported assertions.

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

Both, of course.

No; I am stating something fairly obvious which follows logically from what you said. I thought you defined science as the study of the physical world. That definition is not part of the study of the physical world.

Reply to
mc

Well, sodium "is", because of the configuration of a corresponding number of electrons around a multiply charged (+11 to be exact) nucleus. The configuration is a direct result of the Pauli Exclusion Principle and wavelike/quantum states of those electrons.

Because, according to Darwin, it evolved in conditions suitable for such an animal to be capable of surviving better than otherwise.

Or according to the Pentateuch, God created horses on the sixth day (same as us, coincidentially).

Tim, your ONE (1) P.C. post of the day.

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

"Eeyore" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@REMOVETHIS.hotmail.com...

No, that's a load of rubbish, and you know it.

The galaxy is in a little marble that aliens are playing with (ref: Men In Black).

Tim

--
Deep Fryer: a very philosophical monk.
Tim Williams

Heh! "Disallow M$-IE 'automatic picture size adaptation'."

Kewl!

Thanks! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

Well, this guy does:

And it took him a very, very long time to figure it out. He's _NOT_ perfect, and was never supposed to be from the start: he's evolving right along with us and the rest of the Universe, and learning as he goes, as are we. Our brains, after all, are the neurons of God. ;-)

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich the Philosophizer

Outside Science *AS WE KNOW IT*.

After all, isn't "science" the Quest For Truth?

Thanks, Rich

--
For more information, please feel free to visit http://www.godchannel.com
Reply to

No. That's philosophy.

Reply to
mc

I see a ratio of about 8 Bob's Mailbox to 1 Bob tries to show us how to properly tie a back pack / or Bob discussing a 20 year old fet op amp design. Kinda sad. Still worships at the ol' VW Bug altar too. I think he writes the column because he figures he has to. Sure doesn't look like he wants to. I still look for his column though. regards, tom

Reply to
t.hoehler

In message , dated Tue, 8 Aug 2006, Rich the Philosophizer writes

That might be 'philosophy'. But widening and making fuzzy the scope of science **creates** a potential conflict with religion. Some people do that intentionally, to foment strife. Should we support that?

2006 is YMMVI- Your mileage may vary immensely.

John Woodgate

I drive past his house maybe once a week. The front yard *is* full of ratty, rusty old Beetles.

John

No, science would be better defined as a quest to eliminate the false.

Reply to
Brian

Hey, Ideas for Design is great! You can never know too many ways to toggle an output with a single pushbutton!

Reply to
Brian

I dunno if I agree with that. Most of the guys with the big bucks are the ones with the applications. They hire the guys to make the circuits for relatively little reward.

Reply to
Brian